We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants in Rural Southern Utah (and a bit of Arizona)

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
1,750 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurants in Rural Southern Utah (and a bit of Arizona)

I'm spending a week visiting some national parks in Northern Arizona and Southern Utah, driving a big circle from Las Vegas to the Grand Canyon to Moab (Arches and Canyonlands Parks) to Cedar City and back to Las Vegas.

I've searched this forum, a number of other forums, and have spent several hours googling in search of good - or at least interesting - places to eat. I have a good feel for what's available at the Grand Canyon and in Moab. The rest of the time...well, not so much.

Here's what I've gleaned:

(1) From Vegas to Grand Canyon. There are several places in a town called Seligman, just off the main route. I'll probably go to Snow Cap Drive Inn, although Westside Lilo's Cafe is a backup. They both sound quirky.

(2) From Grand Canyon to Moab. In the town of Kayenta there's a place called Amigo Cafe. Perhaps a Navajo taco or Navajo hamburger will be in order.

(3) Moab to Cedar City. In a town called Richfield, there's the Ideal Dairy. It's been around forever, and sounds like it hasn't changed much since it opened.

(4) Cedar City. Yeah, there are some restaurants in town, but nothing that grabs my attention. I'm focusing on the Top Spot Drive Inn for a green chile cheeseburger, or GranDee's Old Fashioned Ice Cream & Bake Shop for...well...ice cream!

(5) Cedar City to Las Vegas. In St. George, the Bear Paw Coffee Company is something of an institution. I wasn't all that impressed on my only visit, but it wasn't bad, and it breaks up the drive.

Any comments on any of these places, or suggestions for others?

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,660 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurants in Rural Southern Utah (and a bit of Arizona)

I'm not really a foodie. I'll stop anywhere and eat whatever is available. But the food at Twin Rocks Cafe in Bluff might be a better bet than Kayenta. Just a thought.

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
6,050 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurants in Rural Southern Utah (and a bit of Arizona)

When we traveled through the area we found it helpful to always have some food with us. A loaf of bread and a jar of peanut butter came in mighty handy many days when restaurants were either closed or we were nowhere near one. And needless to say, it is a desert area so have plenty of water with you always.

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
1,750 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurants in Rural Southern Utah (and a bit of Arizona)

Kbecjeans, thanks for the recommendation. I took a look at its web site, and Twin Rocks Cafe looks interesting (including the setting).

Susielou, you're certainly right about the water. I do a fair bit of desert hiking, and have learned to go overboard with respect to water!

Torrey, Utah
Destination Expert
for Torrey, Capitol Reef National Park
Level Contributor
1,329 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurants in Rural Southern Utah (and a bit of Arizona)

Why on earth would you go through Richfield on the way from Moab to Cedar? (Unless you're in a real hurry I suppose) Take 24 to Hanksville and Torrey then 12 to Bryce and go over the mountains to Cedar City. 12 is one of the best roads in America and the other roads aren't shabby.

In Torrey there is Cafe Diablo which has an excellent reputation. In Boulder there is Hell's Backbone Grill which is also excellent and the Kiva Coffee House on 12 is well liked for lunch.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
26 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurants in Rural Southern Utah (and a bit of Arizona)

In Cedar City La Casa Don Miguel @ 453 Main Street is excellent homemade mexican food.

In Springdale (Zion canyon) you will have lots of choices for good food... inexpensive, fresh & well prepared is the sidewalk converted gas station "Whiptail Grill". For sit down the new restaurant at the Driftwood Lodge is reputed so far to have scrumpteous food and fine dining.

St. George has the "Bear Paw" for good breakfast & coffee while the "Painted Pony" has the best dinner food in town but quite pricey.

Enjoy!

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
1,750 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurants in Rural Southern Utah (and a bit of Arizona)

Thanks, travelaround! I'll have to take a look at La Casa Don Miguel.

I agree about Springdale; I found it surprising how many decent places were to be found.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,125 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurants in Rural Southern Utah (and a bit of Arizona)

The one at the Driftwood is Jesse's Grill.I had a great steak there last time.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
17,177 posts
394 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurants in Rural Southern Utah (and a bit of Arizona)

This is a REALLY good list!

I'll second Hell's Backbone Grill in Boulder.

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
1,750 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurants in Rural Southern Utah (and a bit of Arizona)

Thanks for all the suggestions!!!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
26 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurants in Rural Southern Utah (and a bit of Arizona)

Jesse's Grill is no longer at the Driftwood. I am not sure where Cory and Jesse have gone but the restaurant at the Driftwood is now "Parallel 88" run by the management of last few year's "Spotted Dog" which now is under new management and not, as good as it has been the past few years.