We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help With First Trip to Utah

pgh,pa
Level Contributor
180 posts
131 reviews
Save Topic
Help With First Trip to Utah

I have plenty of time to plan a family first time trip to Utah next May for 9 nites. Will fly in and out of LasVegas. We will fly into LV and drive to Zion. 2 nites in Zion and 1 nite in Bryce. Here is where I am having trouble. Plenty of things we want to see and do in Moab and Page area. Does it makes sense to drive to Moab for 2-3 nites and then to Page for 2-3 nites, and then drive and spend 1 nite in LV. I know everybody says to stay in one area and return later, but my "kids" are 19 and 21 and they still want to travel with us, but after next year that might not be possible. We therefore need to see as much as possible without spending all of our time driving. I will thank all in advance for your help

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help With First Trip to Utah

Yes, as this prob will be the last trip with the "kids" go for it!

1. Las Vegas-Zion

2. Zion

3. Zion-Bryce, see Bryce

4. Drive ut12 to Torrey in the morning and drive to Moab in the afternoon.

5. Moab

6. Moab

7. Drive to Page via Monument Valley

8. Page

9. Drive Page to Las Vegas

10.Home.

It's a trip of a lifetime and you'll never know what future brings.

Good Luck.

Tet

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,919 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help With First Trip to Utah

It makes sense to go to Moab and back through Page only if you are well aware of the distance to travel and have the time to spend. It sounds like it would be a great trip and your kids old enough to enjoy it right along with you.

pgh,pa
Level Contributor
180 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help With First Trip to Utah

I think we can do the driving. When we went to Arizona a few years ago we spent 8 nites in 5 different hotels enjoyed it all. I do have one question though. Not always able to tell on maps, how long will it actually take from Bryce to Moab and how long from Moab to Page. Also my wife and I saw Hoover Dam years ago but the kids did not. Which is better Hoover or Glen Canyon Dam. As always thanks to all on TripAdvisor

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,919 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help With First Trip to Utah

I love googlemaps, some people use mapquest. They are both very helpful to calculate approximate distance and travel time. I've found them fairly accurate.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl says it is 270 miles and about 6 hr 23 min from Bryce to Moab via Hwy 12 and Green River. Of course you would be going along the most scenic road in the country (http://www.scenicbyway12.com/) and through the most underrated park (Capitol Reef) in the system, past one of the most easily accessible slot canyons (Little Wild Horse) and a great State Park (Goblin Valley). So taking only one day you'll miss out, but one must do these things sometimes.

Moab to Page via Tet's route - 191 to 95 to 261 to 163 to 93-- will be about 285 miles and 6 hrs 42 mins. Again passing Natural Bridges NM, Moki Dugway, Valley of the Gods, Goosenecks State Park, Monument Valley.... You could spend a week easily in the 4 corners area.

Glen Canyon Dam is a little wider, Hoover Dam is a little taller, but overall they are very similar. I believe Hoover is more crowded due to LV visitors so Glen Canyon may be easier to get in. Very worth doing.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help With First Trip to Utah

Well, Kbec already gave you great info. In fact count on an all day drive for both routes with minor stops. So let's say 8-9 hours. But the hours will fly because so many things to see. Btw, the shortest route from Bryce to Moab is via 89 and I 70 in app. 5 hours but you'll miss ut12 then so I would not do that. Leave Bryce early and a make a short stop at Kiva Koffeehouse between milemarkers 74 and 73 on ut12. You easily miss it, it's on your left hand side coming from Bryce. Great coffee and food and fantastic views from its terrasses. Closed Tue.

Also take the detour on "Tets" route via Moki Dugway (ut261) as Kbec has said. The world falls apart here, you'll see! Then on your way from Mexican Hat to Monument Valley Tribal Park stop at milemarker 13 on us163 for a classic photostop. Best in the morning but it's a great view anytime.

I much prefer Glen Canyon Dam to Hoover Dam. Almost same size. Free parking (leave bags in the car, just bring your camera's), great and helpful visitor center and cheaper than visiting Hoover Dam. Entrance fee is $ 5,--. Also better views imo.

In Page don't forget Antelope Canyon ($ 25,-- pp plus $ 6,-- Navajo fee) and Horseshoebend Overlook (free, a 15-20 minutes walk from the parkinglot, no shade and no fence). Best time for visiting Horseshoebend is in the morning, best time for Antelope is midday and I prefer the afternoon for Glen Canyon Dam so I would do it in that order. maybe have lunch at Stromboli's in Page. Good and relaxed.

Tet

pgh,pa
Level Contributor
180 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help With First Trip to Utah

Family now say they do not want that much driving, so I will shorten my trip. I was thinking of 2 nites Zion, 1 nite Bryce, 2 nites Torrey. 2 nites Page and 2 nites Las Vegas, or only 1 nite in LV and 1 extra elsewhere. My main questions are 1) What is weather like in mid May and will the water in the Narrows be too cold and is the water cold for a float trip from Page area 2)In doing this drive what are the best routes to travel, and is there any way to avoid backtracking, or doesnt that really matter. Once again thanks

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,919 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help With First Trip to Utah

Weather in May is usually very nice, not too hot, but the leaves and flowers are out.

Early to mid- May is usually when the runoff happens and the Narrows are closed due to high water.

I would imagine it would be a great time to take the float trip from Page, though can't speak from personal experience on that.

If you go up to Torrey but not to Moab it would be pretty hard to avoid backtracking...but you can't complain too much if you take Hwy 12. It is beautiful both ways. Maybe you could stop for somethings on the way and others on the way back. Maybe that could be your extra day, just the travel time.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help With First Trip to Utah

You can do it without much backtracking as follows:

Day 1: Las Vegas-Zion

Day 2: Zion

Day 3: Zion to Bryce, visit Bryce

Day 4: Bryce to Torrey, ut12 and Capitol Reef.

Day 5: Torrey to Monument Valley via 95/261/163. Sunset/Sunrise in MV.

Day 6: Start MV early and drive to Page. It's app. 2.5 hours so you can visit Antelope Canyon around noon

Day 7: Page, maybe also www.raftthecanyon.com

Day 8: Drive to Las Vegas

Day 9: Las Vegas

Day 10: Home.

Tet

pgh,pa
Level Contributor
180 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help With First Trip to Utah

Thanks Tet, that looks like what I was after. With that plan I can add or subtract days at any location after the family decides what they all want to do. Will take some driving but not to excess, thanks again

10. Re: Help With First Trip to Utah

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 December 2009, 05:19