We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help with this trip

pgh,pa
Level Contributor
179 posts
115 reviews
Save Topic
Please help with this trip

We will be going to Utah near the end of next May for around 9 nites. We will fly in and out of LV. My adult kids want to spend at least 2 nites in LV so that leaves me 1 week for Utah.We will arrive in LV eary in day and drive straight to Zion for 2 nites, then 2 nites at Bryce and then how would 3 nites in Page sound? We will hike Zion and Bryce,and would like to ride horses, possibly a jeep ride, do Antelope Canyon, a float trip, kayaking and either Hoover Dam or Glenn Canyon Dam and if possible some beginning canyoneering. Does this sound ok or should we adjust our nites differently and is it ok to skip U12 and Torrey this time. Also, any ideas as to good outfits to do these activities that my family insists on doing. Lot to ask, but there is so much to see and do, I really need help in case we do not make it back. I will be 60 and who knows if I will be able to hike and climb much longer. Thanks to all for your help

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,094 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please help with this trip

Good that you're planning early. I'd do 3 nights at Zion/Springdale to get in that hiking and then a night or two at Bryce and on to Page. Do the float trip there www.raftthecanyon.com and that's the place to see Glen Canyon Dam instead of Hoover. Maybe a drive by at the NR of the Grand Canyon on the way to Page or back to LV to whet your appetite for a return trip.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
16,874 posts
388 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please help with this trip

I'll second expanding the time in Zion a bit. Three nights in Page sounds like a lot unless you do a Grand Canyon sidetrip.

If you do decide to stay with two nights in Bryce, definitely do a sidetrip up US12 to Boulder with an activity in Escalante area like Peek-a-Boo Gulch, etc.

And, as noted, more efficient to see Glen Canyon Dam if you're in Page than spending a half-day leaving Vegas to see Hoover. Same dam tour.

Have fun.

Roosevelt, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
1,107 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please help with this trip

You know, the most fun I had when I was visiting Page with my kids a while back was visiting Lee's Ferry. If I'd had the $ we would have done a raft trip of the Colorado River near there but just taking the time to visit the old ferry location was really a highlight in my book.

I also think getting on the water at Lake Powell is essential if you're in the area. Rainbow Bridge is really beautiful and worth any effort you make to see it.

Oh, and don't forget to check out Horseshoe Bend. There is more to do in Page than you think.

*Pixie*

pgh,pa
Level Contributor
179 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please help with this trip

Thanks to all so far, any more ideas greatly appreciated. Any suggestions as to better places to go horseback riding and/or jeep rides. I need help with what the areas are like for the rides and not so much as to which company. As I tell a lot of people that are going anywhere on vacation, Trip Advisor is always a must!!!!

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Regina
Level Contributor
3,867 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please help with this trip

I'd do the horse (or mule) riding at Bryce Canyon. If you're planning on doing much hiking I'd probably skip the jeep tour. You can ride the free shuttle around Zion NP.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
16,973 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please help with this trip

There is horseback riding at Zion,but it is a nose to tail guided tour.

There is a jeep tour also,that does photo and sunset tours.Its not the more hard core stuff like at Moab or Sedona.But goes to lesser known areas around Zion.

www.zionjeeptours.com

There is also canyoneering.

www.zionadventures.com

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please help with this trip

I think your planning is fine

1. Las Vegas-Zion

2. Zion

3. To Bryce

4. Bryce

5. Bryce-Page

6. Page

7. Page

8. Page-Las Vegas

Total of 7 nights.

Page to Las Vegas is 5 hours but I recommand to take a longer route via Navajo Bridges, Marble Canyon and Lees Ferry. You can take your rest in Las Vegas-lol-

Maybe add a night in Zion instead Bryce, depending on your plans.

Tet

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,621 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Please help with this trip

Sounds like a very good plan for the UT/AZ portion of the trip. My wife and I have done a couple of similar trips over the past few years (in fact, we are planning on returning to UT this October to get more of the Moab area).

I concur with most of the suggestions listed so far. The horseback ride in Zion is just a trail ride, nothing spectacular, but it did provide a break to hiking. The mule ride we took at Bryce was much more interesting. Still a nose-to-tail walk, but it does provide an interesting perspective and a good way to get down into the amphitheater. Note if you are leery of edges/cliffs/steep drops then this could be a little disconcerting. I like to stay back from edges; my mule was quite happy tip-toeing right on the edge. I have been riding horses for 20 years, so I was not worried about the mule doing anything stupid (these are well trained animals, and mules are very sure-footed), but I was clenching the saddle a bit tighter (good work-out for the thighs, actually).

There is a lot to do in Page. This is the link to the trip report from our trip from last fall; I think this hits many of the high-lights for the area: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60834-i239-k23509…

The Glen Canyon Dam tour was great. As mentioned, do that tour rather than Hoover (you are right there so no need for an additional excursion to get to Hoover). The Hummer tour we took was fantastic; gets you out in the desert and to slot canyons that are not crowded at all. Antelope Canyon is a “must see”; while crowed, it is beautiful.

As for the time in each location, at least 2 nights in Zion, 1 or 2 at Bryce, 2 or 3 in Page, but that will obviously depend on which activities you choose to do in each location. Personally, I would skip time in LV and use the time to see more of outdoors in Utah and Arizona, but that’s just me ;-)

Newtown, PA
Level Contributor
3,329 posts
366 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Please help with this trip

The Glen Canyon Dam was so much nicer than Hoover Dam, mainly because of the crowds. We went out to Hoover on our last day in Vegas and it looked like Grand Central Station. The traffic was awful and people were walking everywhere. I thought the new bridge they are building over the Colorado River was more impressive than Hoover Dam.

Glen Canyon Dam was a great scene. Plenty of places to park other than the visitor's center. We got done our boat trip at noon, went right to the dam for the 12:30 tour, and then were in the Horseshoe Bend parking lot by 1:30. We really enjoyed the Page area on our trip.

Lakenheath, Suffolk
Level Contributor
173 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Please help with this trip

Hello,

We spent 2 nights in Page in May this year and I'll have to say we weren't particularly impressed with the town itself. We stayed at the Days Inn which was very nice (and the Wal-Mart opposite was very handy for shopping). We went on the Upper Antelope Canyon tour (amazing), half day boat trip on Lake Powell (excellent; felt that 1/2 day was enough) and went to the Glen Canyon Dam visitor centre. Good things to see there but as I say, the town wasn't overly exciting. One good thing - we had our first visit to a Quiznos - we thought the food was really nice - maybe not to everyone's taste, but coming from the UK where we are used to Subway it was a vast improvement (there are some Quiznos places opening in the UK and I hope to go to one soon).