We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ISO the perfect place for us!

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,537 posts
348 reviews
Save Topic
ISO the perfect place for us!

Who: Four adult couples.

Where: Within an hour to an hour and a half of SLC airport

Interests: Wildflowers, wildlife, hiking (moderate 5-10 miles), great food

When: August 2010

What: We prefer individual cabins or relatively small inns with a good comfort level.

Any suggestions?

Thank you so much.

Roosevelt, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
1,191 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ISO the perfect place for us!

The three locations that jump to my mind are:

1. Park City

2. Heber City/Midway

3. Logan

Even though Park City is #1 on my list, it's pretty expensive (even in August).

Personally, I'd stick with Heber City/Midway -- if not for anything else other than the costs of your trip wil be less expensive than Park City PLUS it's a great "hub" for numerious hikes in the Wasatch Mountains.

If you want wildflowers, wildlife, and moderate hiking nearby head up the Mirror Lake Highway and you'll find everything you'd ever want (including lots of other hikers!)

If you're interested in something more "private" I can offer you additional suggestions but they'd be a bit farther from the airport. The closer you are to the airport...the more people you'll encounter during your stay.

One more thought: there's this lodge about 15 minutes east of Heber City (on Highway 40 up Daniel's Canyon) Daniel's Summit Lodge -- it's really beautiful up there! It's just outside of the 1 1/2 hr. radius you mentioned. And August would be the perfect month for a visit.

Have fun!

*Pixie*

Mentioned in this post
North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,537 posts
348 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ISO the perfect place for us!

Pixie, you are a great resource. I like the looks of Daniels Summit. You said you had other "private" locations you could mention, I would love to know about them.

I will be in Park City in two weeks and hope to have a chance to check out our options there. Thanks so much for your help!!!

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,537 posts
348 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ISO the perfect place for us!

topping

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,537 posts
348 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ISO the perfect place for us!

topping

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
16,249 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ISO the perfect place for us!

Going north an hour and a half you could get into the Ogden Valley - Huntsville, Eden, Liberty and the ski resorts Snowbasin, Powder Mountain and Wolf Mt.

http://www.ovba.org/ for information about the area and lodging options. I have only stayed at Powder Ridge on the top of the mountain. It is a condo but quiet and very isolated. Red Moose Lodge and Snowberry Inn have interested me at times.

Going south I can think of nothing along the I-15 corridor. There might be something over on hwy 89, but I don't know of anything until you get further south.

You might find something at Sundance Ski resort in Provo Canyon. http://www.sundanceresort.com/ It is not a big resort, but very intimate and I believe the there are individual cabins. And it is certainly close to great hiking.

Going East then you have Park CIty and Heber that have all your requirements. We love the Homestead. I've thought about Johnson's Mill, both in Midway. Daniel's Summit is rather isolated so you might have trouble with the great food part.

Mentioned in this post
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
16,249 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ISO the perfect place for us!

I forgot about Logan. There is the Sherwood Resort near Mantua: www.sherwoodhills.com/funforeveryone.php

It may say resort, but it is small and a fun getaway.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,537 posts
348 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ISO the perfect place for us!

Thank you so much. I appreciate your advice greatly!

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
9,397 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ISO the perfect place for us!

Hi cmcfong,

I finally found a website with photos that do justice to the area where we spend a week almost every summer.

settingsunphotography.com/…0

About half the photos (including the moose!) are from Albion Basin, just a mile up the road from Snowbird, where we stay. The others are around Mt. Timpanogos, at Sundance resort. Wildflowers are found in abundance at both places, generally the last week of July and the first week of August. This is the only year we have not spotted moose during our week, but we heard the mama moose was around. We did see lots of deer.

There are unfortunately no cabins at Snowbird (only upscale condos), but there are several good restaurants, including one outstanding one (the Shallow Shaft at Alta). There are some owner rentals at Alta as well, but these would not come with the pool and spa privileges you would get at Snowbird.

And I believe someone said there might be cabins at Sundance.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,537 posts
348 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ISO the perfect place for us!

Thanks, Enzian. I leave for SLC on Wed and hope to have a chance to run over to Alta and Sundance while I am there. I appreciate the information.

I don't really understand why the "decisions" this year have been so challenging. Most of us are now firmly in the Alberta camp, but we have two or three on the fence.

Welcome home. Hope you had a great time in Glacier. I will be looking for your trip report.

Mentioned in this post
Alberta
Alberta
Canada
10. Re: ISO the perfect place for us!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 February 2010, 05:17