We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel question between Bryce and Arches.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
118 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Travel question between Bryce and Arches.

I was planning to stay overnight at Bryce Canyon NP after driving over from Zion next week. The next morning, I want to see Bryce in the AM since its the best time to see its color in the morning sun. I was planning to leave around noontime to drive to Arches. I was hoping to get there by 5-6 PM and catch some of the arches at Sunset.

Is this a plan possible or a waste of time? I have kids from 8, 10, 12 and I figure that they might get tired after few hours of hiking in Bryce in the AM and may not want to hike in the hot sun in the afternoon. So I will give them a break in the car will we drive to Arches. Can I make it their before sunset?

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
57,034 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel question between Bryce and Arches.

You can make it, but it's a mistake to try IMO. The drive up UT 12 from Bryce to Torrey is about 100 miles of the most scenic road in the USA. If you do it without stopping it will take about 2-3 hours. But you should add at least another hour for a few stops. Then from Torrey you drive through Capitol Reef NP. Not stopping here is like going through Disneyland with your eyes closed. After CR NP from Hanksville to Arches is about 3 hours. Too bad you won't have any time to detour to Goblin Valley SP. The kids would LOVE it.

Then of course when you arrive at Arches you will barely have time to get into the park before the sun sets and it gets dark and you make your apologies to the kids and plan to come back the next day.

The drive from Bryce to Moab can be done in a day, not a half day, and ideally in 2 days. This is after all, a vacation and not a marathon, right?

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,184 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel question between Bryce and Arches.

We're planning our trip for early October and thinking of a similar plan, so thanks for the insight. RedRox, I am in awe of all the help you've given on this site. I viewed your pix and regret we can't hit Monument Valley and C de C. I guess that's for another trip. We'll be driving about 5,000 miles on this one, so that's enough!

New Boston, New...
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel question between Bryce and Arches.

The day we traveled from Torrey - Capitol Reef NP area down to Mt Carmel which in an hour south of Bryce - it took us 10 hours with lots of stops - and we missed stopping at goblin State Park, unfortunately.

I wouldn't try making it to Arches for Sunset - What time of year are you talking about and what time is sunset?

New Boston, New...
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel question between Bryce and Arches.

Sorry guess I missed the word "next week" on the time frame.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
118 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel question between Bryce and Arches.

Thanks for your opinions. Unfortunately, its kind of like the Amazing Race. I want to see alot in a short period of time. The trip is for next week. We will be spending 2 days and nights at Zion. After a day in Zion, I was going to drive to and spend a night at Bryce and see some of the park in the morning. After the AM in Bryce,I was hoping to drive via route 70 from Bryce to Arches mid day. According to Google, its about 280 miles by that route and about a 5 hour drive. I was hoping to get there by 5 PM and catch some of the arches at sunset, maybe the Delicate Arch hike? The next day, we will explore Arches with a half day PM raft trip. After, a day at Arches, I was planning to spend a night at Cortez and visit Mesa Verde. After Mesa verde, we need to drive to AZ and spend a night at Sedona?. The next day, we have to head to Palm Springs to meet some friends.

What do you think?

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel question between Bryce and Arches.

So this is your route?

Day 1: Drive to Zion

Day 2: Zion

Day 3: Zion and to Bryce

Day 4: Bryce and fastest route to Moab.

Day 5: Arches/Raft trip

Day 6: To Cortez, visit to Mesa Verde and back to Cortez

Day 7: Cortez-Sedona

Day 8: Sedona-Palm Springs.

??

Tet

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
118 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel question between Bryce and Arches.

Actually, it is this:

This Sun: LA to Springdale, UT with a stop in Vegas for food/ outlet mall shopping. BW Springdale.

Mon: Zion, Narrows hike bottom up. BW springdale.

Tues: Zion Emerald pool hike. Leave mid afternoon to Bryce via Tunnel route Catch sunset at Bryce. stay at BW.

Wed: Visit Bryce in AM, Drive PM to Arches. Sunset in Arches. Stay in Moab.

Thurs AM in Arches, PM half day rafting. Drive to Mesa Verde. Stay at Farview Lodge.

Frid: All day at Mesa Verde. leave late afternoon to drive to Sedona. 6 hour drive.

Sat: head from Sedona to Palm springs after brunch 5 hour drive.

Sun back to LA

Torrey, Utah
Destination Expert
for Torrey, Capitol Reef National Park
Level Contributor
1,396 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel question between Bryce and Arches.

Well, if you want an opinion, which of course is based on my own preferences not yours, you are trying to do too much in a week. Drop Mesa Grande and Sedona, take 12 and spend a night in Torrey for Capitol Reef, the kids will like Goblin Vallry on the way from there to Bryce.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel question between Bryce and Arches.

Probably you already made your reservations and it's hard to get other lodging that short before your departure but you are really pushing it. LA-Springdale already is an 8 hours drive and Utah is one hour later than Ca/Nv. So it will be a very long day with shopping and all.

Plus so many nice things to see and visit with kids that age like Frontier Movie Town, Best Friends Animal Sanctuary and Coral Pink Sanddunes, all more or less between Zion and Bryce.

Visiting Arches first, a river raft and the drive to Far View Lodge (3 hours from Moab) also is a very long day plus you'll miss Canyonlands NP and Dead Horse Point SP near Moab.

Of course, it's your trip but visit Mesa Verde and drive to Sedona same day? Yes, 6 hours the very least.

Mesa Verde will be a long detour but to answer your question, yes it's possible to drive from Bryce to Arches but you'll miss ut12, Capitol Reef and Goblin Valley on your way to Moab.

Tet

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
118 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel question between Bryce and Arches.

Thanks for the responses. I was concern about the end of the trip. Palm springs is a must for Sat night since we are meeting friends there. Friday night at Sedona is mainly a scenic stop to sleep from Utah to Palm Springs. Half way point between Utah and Palm Springs.

I was hoping to sneak to Mesa Verde because its relatively close to Moab, but I will have to think about it.

Initially, I was going to stay in SW utah area and go to Page, AZ before Palm Springs. But the kids, wanted to see the Arches NP.

As for the hotel, only Zion, Bryce, Moab is booked and recently, and they can be cancel right day before the reservation without penalty. Only the, Palm Springs is nonrefundable.