We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Utah NP plus GC North Rim

Seattle area
Level Contributor
436 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Utah NP plus GC North Rim

Hello all, I in the early stages of planning our trip for next year. We will be leaving the Seattle area the end of May with our 5th wheel in tow.

We want to visit Zion, Canyonlands, Arches and the GC north rim. I'm hoping to do some sort of loop starting either way. I hope this trip won't last anymore then 2 wks. I think it will take us 2 days to get there and 2 to get home. I'd like to camp in the NP if I can. We have the golden age pass so that would be good for the budget. Can you tell me how long I need at each park and how are the camping sites for a small 5th wheel. Do I need to make reservations or are the the sites available. How will the weather be the end of may first of june.

Thanks

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
56,473 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Utah NP plus GC North Rim

Weather will be perfect and the parks will be crowded, especially over the Memorial Day holiday. Book your reservations ASAP.

You need these minimums. 2 days at Zion and one full day at Bryce. 2 days at the GCNP North Rim and 3-5 days at Moab for Canyonlands, Arches and Dead Horse Point SP. Add a day at Capitol Reef between Bryce and Moab and your vacation is a full slate.

Seattle area
Level Contributor
436 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Utah NP plus GC North Rim

RedRox thanks, I didn't even think about it being a holiday. I can't make reservations at the NP's until 6 months ahead of time. I've heard that there is snow in late spring at the NR so I was worried.

I love these forums, everyone is so helpful

NJ
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Utah NP plus GC North Rim

other poster has it right, did a similar trip several years ago, we also included monument valley. we started from phoenix did monument valley, the north rim zion bryce and arches and canyonlands.. (two locations, near montecello and in moab)

i would definately give at least 3 nights to moab, then down to monument valley over night see the valley then head out to the north rim (2 nights) then zion2 or 3 nights and bryce2 nights for a full day there this is 10 or 11 days, adding your 4 is 14 or 15 days

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
56,473 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Utah NP plus GC North Rim

NP lodges book one year in advance. Book on Oct 1st for Oct 2010.

Seattle area
Level Contributor
436 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Utah NP plus GC North Rim

RedRox, I'm bringing my 5th wheel so I'll be staying in the campgrounds not the lodges. I called the reservation place for the campgrounds and they said no sooner then 6 mo. ahead of time. I wanted to get a feel from the forum for how long at each park. I've never been to this area so I'm really needing advice. Does anyone know how the campgrounds are?

Thanks again for wonderful advice.

Park City, Utah
Level Contributor
318 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Utah NP plus GC North Rim

We visited this area in June this year camping at most locations but we were in a tent rather than an RV. The campgrounds in the national parks were some of our favourites but most of them have cold water only and no showers. Not sure what facilities you have in your RV but if you have your own shower this might not matter as most campgrounds seem to have electric sites.

http://www.recreation.gov/

This website is where you can check out facilities and book most of these campgrounds. We booked ours 6 months out in January and there was no panic for availability although I noticed that within a few weeks the more popular ones had booked out.

We stayed at:

- Watchman campground in Zion. Although we had a tent site, there are also electric sites for RVs. If you want addtional facilities Springdale has a nice campground which is only a short shuttle away from the park (sorry, can't remember the name).

- North campground in Bryce Canyon NP - saw lots of big RVs there too. This campground is right beside the rim so really easy to do some of the walks from there.

- A tent only campground in Moab. There are campgrounds at Arches National Park and Dead Horse State Park (both near Moab) and a number of RV campgrounds in Moab.

Seattle area
Level Contributor
436 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Utah NP plus GC North Rim

Thanks Skiwiflyer, This is great information for us. We have a small RV 5th wheel. but it is self contained and does have a shower. I'm done tent camping. I've been rained out too many times and DH and I are at an age where we want a little more comfort although we do like the national campgrounds. I have to get the dates set then make sure I book 6 mos out

Seattle area
Level Contributor
436 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Utah NP plus GC North Rim

Whatcha all think about staging our 5th wheel at zion campground and driving up to bryce for the day and down to the north rim for another day. This would cut down on breaking camp and repositioning our RV, also I figure it will take up 2 nights on the road to get there instead of 1. I was thinking of zion then moab for the other parks.

Thanks

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Utah NP plus GC North Rim

Even without your 5th wheel is will be 3 hours one way to drive Zion to North rim so your time for North rim will be very limited and you won't want to miss sunrise/sunset. Too limited imo. And Bryce is on your way to Moab. Maybe 2 nights Zion, 2 nights north rim and one (2) night(s) at Bryce. Maybe Bryce-Torrey after that (1 nights) and the drive to Moab and stay 3-4 nights.

Tet

Seattle area
Level Contributor
436 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Utah NP plus GC North Rim

thanks Tet14, DH has been trying to get me tighten up our itinerary, so I was trying to do that without missing some of the wonderful National Parks. I really think we need to go for 3 weeks instead of 2 that way we won't be cramming everything in frantically just getting a snippet. I need to re-think this and have a serious talk with DH. You know I only have 2 months before I need to start making reservations.

Thanks you all