We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two Nights, Southern Utah. Maybe.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
178 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Two Nights, Southern Utah. Maybe.

One of several options I am exploring with my GF... flying into Salt Lake City either late Wednesday October 21 for a Sunday return OR early Saturday October 24 for a Tuesday return. Salt Lake (specifically soccer) would be our Saturday night calling. We've pretty much covered Salt Lake, Park City, and immediate surroundings. We're thinking about Zion and Bryce Canyon, or maybe Moab... and I'm guessing that squeezing Highway 12 into the mix might be throwing the 9th ball into our juggling act.

I'm somewhat familiar with Moab.

For a couple days around Zion and Bryce Canyon, is there a decent "central" spot to dwell for two nights? On what should we focus our travels?

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,916 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Two Nights, Southern Utah. Maybe.

If you left Salt Lake early sunday after the saturday game you could get to Zions/Springdale (stay Springdale) in about 4 hrs. That would give you a good afternoon and part of the next morning to visit the park. There are easy hikes (Riverside, Emerald Pools, Pa'rus) and hard hikes (Angel's Landing, Observation Point) in the main canyon, you would also want to explore the east section on your way to Bryce.

Then Monday afternoon head on over to Bryce to visit what you can that afternoon/evening. It is easy to see the best part of the park in half a day. Stay in the main amphitheater area - Sunrise, Sunset and Inspiration Points, take a hike down, I always recommend Navaho loop and if you have time or are fast hikers then come back up Queen's Garden). To avoid the 2 hr backtrack to Springdale it would be better if you stayed Bryce or Tropic or even Escalante (plus give you time to make the hwy 12 run).

Tuesday you could drive hwy 12 to Torrey and then hwy 24 to I-15. It would take about 6 hrs to the airport (about 2 hrs longer than just heading straight over to I-15)

It would be a quick trip, but one I've done myself once in awhile.

If you wanted to go back to Moab you could stay in one place (Moab) and visit Arches and Canyonlands easy in two days.

2. Re: Two Nights, Southern Utah. Maybe.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 March 2010, 07:17