We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Winter driving in Utah??

California
Level Contributor
1,159 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Winter driving in Utah??

Could anyone tell me what it's like to drive from Cedar City to Grand Junction in late December?

Thanks in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
19,861 posts
428 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Winter driving in Utah??

You really need to look at localized weather at that time. There's no reason to have any undue concern. Do check carefully, though, as there's a stretch of more than 100 miles on I-70 with no services. This is a beautiful stretch of highway.

Do stop at Ray's Tavern in Green River for a hamburger.

Have fun.

Mentioned in this post
Torrey, Utah
Destination Expert
for Torrey, Capitol Reef National Park
Level Contributor
1,563 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Winter driving in Utah??

Nobody can tell you that until a couple of days before. Typically however, unless there is a storm actually in the area, I15 and I70 are kept in great shape. Get gas in Richfield/Salina and carry food and water if there is any bad weather (good idea anyway in these remote areas).

Mentioned in this post
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
16,247 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Winter driving in Utah??

There can be snow anywhere along that route. If there is a storm and you have to drive in it I think I might think twice about going. If the roads are snowy and icey then driving can be difficult. The less people out on the road to run into each other the better.

Usually if there is a storm it is unusual for it to last longer than a day. If you keep track of the weather and either drive before the storm hits or wait till it passes you'd be better off.

Otherwise the roads are plowed and are good roads.

4. Re: Winter driving in Utah??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 June 2010, 05:19