We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need advice on trip itinerary - too ambitious?

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Need advice on trip itinerary - too ambitious?

Greetings,

I'm planning a 8-day trip to Utah (mostly) and the north rim of the Grand Canyon in mid to late May. I'm torn between wanting to see everything and making sure to slow down and enjoy the beauty. Right now, we (two adults) plan to fly into Salt Lake City and spend a couple of days in Moab area, then see (in order)Monument Valley, Captiol Reef, Bryce Canyon, the north rim of the Grand Canyon, Zion, and then fly out of Las Vegas back home. Is this too ambitious? While we do like some light hiking, and may do a day-raft in Moab, there won't be any extended day hikes involved. I want to strike a good balance, and would appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance!

Torrey, Utah
Destination Expert
for Torrey, Capitol Reef National Park
Level Contributor
1,413 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need advice on trip itinerary - too ambitious?

While you can certainly spend longer, a lifetime in fact, exploring Utah's wonders your itinerary doesn't seem too ambitious. You won't be able to see anything in depth but the scenery is so stunning anyway you should be fine. Is there any way you can fly into Grand Junction rather than SLC and save the trip from SLC to Moab which isn't that exciting. Or maybe Denver and drive across the Rockies? (Not to put SLC and the Wasatch down by any means)

I trust you are going to take UT12 from Capitol Reef to Bryce?

Park City, UT
Level Contributor
355 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need advice on trip itinerary - too ambitious?

I agree with the previous response that your plan isn't overly ambitious. You should be able to have a good overview of southern Utah and North Rim GC. The drive from SLC to Moab should take you about four hours. And definitely schedule UT12 from Torrey to Boulder to Escalente.

There's a possibility of snow on the North Rim in May so check before heading down there.

Have a great time!

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Need advice on trip itinerary - too ambitious?

Thanks for the response. After reading some of the other itineraries posted in this forum, I decided to fly round-trip out of Las Vegas. It turns out to be about the same mileage as the SLC-Vegas route, and much cheaper airfare. The Grand Junction option was considered (and sounds great), but it would actually take up more air travel time and $$. The loop now planned will start with Zion; then north rim of the Grand Canyon (landed reservations at one of the better cabins for one night); Monument Valley via Page; Moab; Capitol Reef; Bryce; Cedar Breaks; and back to Vegas. UT12 is definitely on the route. From what I hear, the driving part is pure pleasure - so the 1300+ miles will fly. I can't wait for May! Thanks again for the advice...

salt lake city
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need advice on trip itinerary - too ambitious?

Your Vegas plan is a good one. Try not to spend all your time in the car. Get out and hike, relax and picnic. Go to the visitor centers and watch the shows there. If you have to miss one of your choices of stops-it will be worth it.You can always come back. The river trip may just be the highlight of the trip so plan that in for sure.