We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive from Idaho Falls, ID to Bryce Canyon

Ghent, Belgium
Level Contributor
55 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Drive from Idaho Falls, ID to Bryce Canyon

On wednesday after labor day, I will be driving from Idaho Falls, ID to Bryce Canyon. I plan to go over I-15 to Spanish Fork and then hop on US-89 for the remainder of the drive to Bryce.

I'm looking for a nice point about halfway to stop over, have some food and stretch our legs, maybe even go on a small hike?

Any suggestions are very welcome.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
17,186 posts
393 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive from Idaho Falls, ID to Bryce Canyon

This night be a bit off your route, but a short sidetrip out to Antelope Island north of Salt Lake City would be scenic and not take all that long.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,687 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive from Idaho Falls, ID to Bryce Canyon

The first thing that came to mind was Fifth Water. It is a hot springs in diamond fork off hwy six just before you turn off to 89. If you packed in a picnic lunch you could eat there.

Roosevelt, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
1,108 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive from Idaho Falls, ID to Bryce Canyon

With a (small) change in your stated plans I can recommend a perfect spot!

Burriston"s Ponds are just a touch south of Mona, UT right off I-15 (this would be north of Nephi --google Mona, UT, look south and you'll see them). They have parking spots, picnic tables, beautiful scenery, shade and lots of wildlife to enjoy.

Mona is almost at the halfway mark also (4 1/2 hrs from Idaho Springs, 3 1/2 hrs. to Bryce)

You can then take the Nephi exit (or continue south on the Mona Road to Nephi and the freeway) and use UT-132 through Moroni to US-89.

Another great location is Knoll Park, just off the freeway in Salem UT (near the entrance to Spanish Fork Canyon). My family is originally from Salem and we used to LOVE to hang out at this great park with the pond surrounding it. It can be hard to find so please ask the locals how to get there (roads/exits etc. change so often in Utah Valley that I don't feel secure giving you accurate directions! I remember how we USED to get there...) :o)

Have a great trip!

*Pixie*

Edited: 27 July 2010, 16:12
4. Re: Drive from Idaho Falls, ID to Bryce Canyon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 January 2011, 06:17