We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

off-the beaten path road trip: CO>AZ

Vail,CO
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
off-the beaten path road trip: CO>AZ

We are planning a trip in late October early November from Colorado to Tucson. We always like to stop in St. George for golf, but have always taken "the beaten path" through Utah> I-70-I-15. Trying to plan a more scenic road trip & possibly see some National Parks. Seeking advise (or guide me to a previous post) which may recommend some of the best scenic routes? Thanks for any help!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
59,200 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: off-the beaten path road trip: CO>AZ

The most scenic route IMO would be I-70 west from Vail (I'll assume you're from Vail) to Cisco and then use 128 down to Moab. Plan to stay 2-3 nights in Moab to enjoy Arches NP, Canyonlands NP and Dead Horse Point SP. Also there is a nice golf course in Moab that is very affordable and scenic and enjoyable, and close to the famed wall of Moab Man petroglyphs and rock paintings.

Take the next day to drive to Monument Valley and tour the tribal park there. Then go on to Page AZ. Lots more to see and do here depending on how much time you have, including another cool golf course at Lake Powell National.

Of course the Grand Canyon NP at the South Rim is a possible stop after Page, and from there it makes sense to spend a few nights in Sedona. Good golf there too. From Sedona it's only 4 more hours to your destination in Tucson.

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,651 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: off-the beaten path road trip: CO>AZ

Good route from RedRox. Another alternative, after taking 128 from I-70 and spending time in Moab, is to head north out of Moab, take I-70 west for a few miles then hit route 24 south toward Hanksville. Stop at Goblin Valley SP along the way and enjoy the multitude of little goblin-like rock formations. Then take 24 on to Torrey (stay the night here, pehaps); you will be passing right through Capitol Reef NP. From Torrey, head south on scenic highway 12 to Bryce Canyon. Here's a link to info on things to see and do along reoute 12:

http://scenicbyway12.com/

Late Oct/early Nov could be downright cold at BC due to the elevation, but it is still worth a visit. Lodging just outside the main entrance.

From BC, take route 89 to route 9 and see Zion NP. You can stay in Springdale for a couple of nights to enjoy Zion. Then it is just a short drive to St. George. However, I like redRox's idea of checking out Page (which would be on your way from Zion as you head into AZ) and Sedona.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,905 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: off-the beaten path road trip: CO>AZ

I endorse both routes as being great alternatives to the Interstate drive. Either one would give you some great parks, and places to visit. Hope you have an extra week.

4. Re: off-the beaten path road trip: CO>AZ

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 March 2011, 06:40