We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do you think my LV Zion Bryce plan is OK & altitude sickness

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Do you think my LV Zion Bryce plan is OK & altitude sickness

I am from the UK. Not keen on very long driving trips so my plan is to drive from Las Vegas to the Dessert Pearl in Springdale in the late evening, dinner in Springdale and then up early and drive to Bryce. Have dinner in the lodge, watch the sunset and drive back to Springdale. Up early again and visit Zion and then drive back to LV in the evening.

Do you think that is a good plan?

Also, I read that the wife of one of the advisors suffered from altitude sickness at Bryce. My part of the world is pretty much at sea level though I will have been in LV for the week before. Is altitude sickness likely to be a problem?

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,683 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do you think my LV Zion Bryce plan is OK & altitude sickness

Welcome to the forum, PEF33.

Well, it is not the best plan for a number of reasons. First, obviously is that you will have very limited time in either park. Bryce Canyon is a smaller park, so you can see a lot of it in one day. Zion however needs more time (a couple days at least). Also, while seeing sunrise and sunset at BC is something I strongly encourage, driving after dark is not the best idea. One reason is that there are a lot of animals that are active in the early evening, and a meeting on the road is just s bad think all around. This also applies to your late evening drive from LV to Springdale (although I admit that I have done this drive after dark with no issues, as most of it is interstate highway and DW and I know to scan the road for critters).

Why not take a day or two from your time in LV and spend a couple of nights in Springdale and a night at Bryce Canyon (at least one night at each).

As for altitude sickness, I'm not sure that a week in LV is going to help much with acclimation to elevation. LV is only about 2000 feet above sea level, while Zion is about 4500 and Bryce over 8000 (that's about 610 meters for LV, 1370 at Zion and Bryce Canyon is2440 meters above sea level). Spending a day or two in Zion before BC might help a bit, so that you are working your way up in elvelation a bit more slowly. Also, drink a lot of water, starting when you get into LV, that helps you with the elevation when you get to BC (plus LV is dry as a bone anyway). When you get to BC, take it easy, start slowly, and just stop and rest if you start to feel ill.

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do you think my LV Zion Bryce plan is OK & altitude sickness

Thanks for the good advice O.H.

Like so many people, I'm sure, I have business in LV and the just weekend to explore the wild west and I would like to fit in as much as possible.

I'll keep an eye out for those critters! I have a national park near me where cows and horses roam free, there were so many accidents that they lowered the speed limit to 40mph. I guess the answer is to keep your eyes open and your speed down.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
16,033 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do you think my LV Zion Bryce plan is OK & altitude sickness

You ask if your plan is a good one. Well, it is a plan. And it can work.

It will be a 3 hr drive to Zions from LV. It is a 2 hr drive to Bryce from Zions. You don't say when this is but winter driving conditions may affect you if you are coming during the winter.

It is hard to know about altitude sickness, some people are more affected than others, but the plan to start drinking more water in LV is a good one. And the fact that you don't plan to stay in Bryce too long will help as well.

Torrey, Utah
Destination Expert
for Torrey, Capitol Reef National Park
Level Contributor
1,514 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do you think my LV Zion Bryce plan is OK & altitude sickness

If you have respiratory problems then 8000 feet might be a problem but if you are healthy you shouldn't have any problem worse than shortness of breath when hiking. My sea-level dwelling 80 year old mother, who is in average shape, visits me here in Torrey (6800 ft) and we go up to 10,000 feet frequently, she has to take it easy but doesn't become ill in any way.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
380 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do you think my LV Zion Bryce plan is OK & altitude sickness

Lots of driving...

It is very unlikely to get altitude illness if you're only going to be in Bryce for half/one day. Most cases of altitude illness take longer to develop, and most people get sick at a slightly higher altitude. You may get winded if you hike due to the thin air, though.

6. Re: Do you think my LV Zion Bryce plan is OK & altitude sickness

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 April 2011, 06:17