We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bryce, Grand Canyon, Capitol Reef

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,390 posts
141 reviews
Save Topic
Bryce, Grand Canyon, Capitol Reef

I posted a report of our 3 nights in Zion. From there, we moved to an apartment in Duck Creek Village for 5 nights. Although many thought this was "too long", it was ideal for us. We do not like packing up and moving on a trip more than necessary. We like to settle in to an apartment and this is what we did. I was able to buy groceries in Cedar City for the 5 nights. We spent one full day in Bryce seeing the sites with the short hikes from the road. They were spectacular. The second day we drove to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon (about 3 hours each way). This was awe inspiring. We were able to stand on the rim for ten minutes and be the only people there (early October). We spent the third day driving route 143 and 14 in the morning. The lava fields, the lakes, etc. were gorgeous. That afternoon we hiked the Queens trail/Navajo loop so really saw the canyon up close. IOur fourth day we took a trip to Coral Pink Sands State Park (well worth a visit), Pipestem National Monument and Colorado City. We really enjoyed the little town of Duck Creek Village.

From there, we took route 12 to Torrey. I had hoped to hike Calf Creek, but the parking lot was full. So, we took the Burr Ridge Road to the Slot Canyon. This was a great lunch location. It took us about 6 1/2 hours to drive from Bryce to Torrey. We had two nights in Torrey so spent one day in Capitol Reef. This was plenty of time. We did one hike along the riverbed through the canyon. We could have left the park at 4 or 5 and been back to Salt Lake City for an over night and a flight the next morning.

But, we spent the second night in Torrey. This trip was "slow travel" in a sense. However, we really felt we were seeing things, enjoying them, and it was not a big blur.

Torrey, Utah
Destination Expert
for Torrey, Capitol Reef National Park
Level Contributor
1,428 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bryce, Grand Canyon, Capitol Reef

Do you mean the Burr Trail to Long Canyon? It is a great place, hope you didn't actually only go as far as the small slot canyon on the paved road, the views from there to the end of the canyon are spectacular.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,926 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bryce, Grand Canyon, Capitol Reef

Thanks for sharing your trip experiences. Everyone has different ways of traveling and it is good to hear them. There are certainly benefits to not moving every night. I've done that myself. Though the 6 hours of travel to stand the North Rim for a short time has never been one of my favorites.

I'm glad you enjoyed your visit and hope you are able to come again.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,390 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bryce, Grand Canyon, Capitol Reef

Ah, clarifications. Yes, it was the Burr Trail. We went a ways past the slot canyon, but unfortunately, had to turn back.....we did want to get to Torrey that night. Route 12 is one of those roads that could take two days to travel about 130 miles!

Re the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, we spent about 5 hours at the north rim of the Grand Canyon. The additional advantage was we were able to drive through different types of scenery on the way there and back. So, we felt the day was "worth it".

There are many ways of touring these parks. We prefer to locate in one spot and head out a different direction each day. Others like to spend one or two nights in a location then pack up and move on.

4. Re: Bryce, Grand Canyon, Capitol Reef

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 April 2011, 06:16