We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 full days with kids in So. Utah--Moab or Zions?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
72 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
5 full days with kids in So. Utah--Moab or Zions?

I'm sure this question has been asked a zillion times, and I have been reading many of the posts. We are a family traveling from Portland, OR, and will have 5 days at the end of June for So. Utah. (Mon-Sat am.) I've been reading and reading on the forum and some travel books and I understand that there is so much to do in this area that I need to narrow down. We would like to go back to So. Utah for another trip in a year or 2 that includes the Grand Canyon. Anyways, it seems like we need to either stay over by Moab/Arches, or in the Zion/Bryce Canyon/Snow Canyon area and work out of 1 location. We will be staying at a hotel--hopefully everything isn't already booked. We have 4 children--16, 13, 8, 8. Because of their ages, we can't get too adventurous. We do like sightseeing and hiking. I also read about a mellow tube ride in Springdale that they would like. Things like that. I think I could narrow down an itinerary if I could figure out which is the best side of the state to land for this trip. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,823 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 full days with kids in So. Utah--Moab or Zions?

There is no wrong answer. If you choose Zion, stay in Springdale and then move for 1-2 nights over to Rubys Inn at Bryce. If you choose Moab, you can stay in one place all week. There is plenty to keep the whole family entertained no matter which place you choose.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
4,165 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 full days with kids in So. Utah--Moab or Zions?

Zion and Bryce are easy to add to a GC trip, if you properly allow for the time. So perhaps Moab is the answer for this trip. There is no right answer to your question, Moab or Zion. Either is a good chioce, while "both" in five days would short-change both locations.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,687 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 full days with kids in So. Utah--Moab or Zions?

The others are right, Either place has plenty to keep all your kids happy for a week.

In Moab there is smooth river rafting where the older kids could paddle their own kayak or all could help paddle the raft depending on their adventureness. There are plenty of hikes that are easy enough for the little ones but interesting enough for the older ones. You could take a jeep tour, or try some biking.

In Zion area between the three parks you have listed you wouldn't be looking for too much extra to do. The tubing on the Virgin, maybe renting bikes to ride down the canyon, or spend a day in the Narrows.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
72 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 full days with kids in So. Utah--Moab or Zions?

So, after reading more on the forum today, the advice I got to stay in St. George and just do day trips to Zion and Bryce seems all wrong. It looks like we should stay in Springdale for 3 nights and Bryce for 1-2?

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,823 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 full days with kids in So. Utah--Moab or Zions?

That is correct. Doing day trips from a central location for Zion and Bryce means hours of wasted time. Stay in or at the parks.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,687 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 full days with kids in So. Utah--Moab or Zions?

St George for a day trip to Zions is possible. It is about an hour drive each way. But trying to see Bryce from St George will be more time in the car and less time enjoying the park and is not really practical.

You will have a better experience for Zions if you stay in Springdale, though that makes it harder to get to Snow Canyon.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
4,165 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 5 full days with kids in So. Utah--Moab or Zions?

Ideally, I would allow 3 full days in Zion and one night at Bryce. Depending upon your route and other trip plans, a night (or two) in St. George to allow a day at Snow Canyon. A stop at Snow Canyon on your way from Vegas to Springdale may work for you as well. (Vegas is clearly the closest airport for these destinations.) Salt Lake City is doable, but will require a little more driving.

8. Re: 5 full days with kids in So. Utah--Moab or Zions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 February 2012, 12:16