We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 Days for Southern UT

Philadelphia, PA
3 posts
Save Topic
7 Days for Southern UT

We will be flying to LAS. We would like to visit Zion, Bryce, Moab, Antelope Canyon, and want to definately fit in some time at Best Friends Animal Sanctuary in Kanab. Does anyone have any suggestions on a good plan, things that are a must see or what should be left out due to lack of time. Also any suggestions on accomodations and restaurants would be greatly appreciated.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,425 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 Days for Southern UT

I would leave Moab out this trip.Too far with your timeframe and what you want to see.

I would do 2-3 days Zion, 1-2 days Bryce, a day at Best Friends, the rest around Page and Antelope Canyon.You could get away with one day at Bryce unless you want to do the mule ride into the canyon.

You did not mention what time of year this trip is.Makes a difference with what attractions and restaurants may be open.

Moab, Utah
Destination Expert
for Moab
Level Contributor
3,344 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 Days for Southern UT

Yep, what dez said. In 7 days Moab is too far and too much with all there is to see nearer Vegas.

Best to commit 7 days to Moab on another trip.

Philadelphia, PA
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 Days for Southern UT

Thanks....I like your suggestions....We have plans to go the 18-24th of June. I'll be brave and ask a stupid question....what are the scorpions and spiders like that time of year? I know we need to have water with us at all times. Is there anything else we need to be aware of? Would this be a good time for kayaking and/or white water rafting?

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,425 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 7 Days for Southern UT

Don't worry about scorpions and spiders.In 35 years of hanging out in the desert, I have seen one scorpion.In Mexico.Spiders are a non issue too.Unless you start digging in a woodpile, odds are you won't see one.

In June all the restaurants and tourist stuff will be open. Its high season.

If you go to Page and Antelope, include a smooth water raft trip from Glen Canyon Dam to Lees Ferry.

www.raftthecanyon.com

Springdale also has a fun innertube ride down the Virgin River just outside the gates of Zion NP.

Start making reservations ASAP especially if you want to stay in the park at Bryce or Zion.I recommend staying outside the park at Zion in summer because its pretty warm, and nice to have a hotel pool to come back to.

Moab, Utah
Destination Expert
for Moab
Level Contributor
3,344 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 7 Days for Southern UT

The spiders and scorpions are much like any other time of year; scaly with lots of legs... Seriously though, in our limited June/July experience we haven't seen many of them and from anecdotes on the forums and from reading various hiking books, ignore them and they ignore you.

Water plus slip, slop, slap. (Slip) cover yourself with clothing, (slop) on lots of sunscreen, (slap) on a hat.

Don't know much about rafting, especially closer to Vegas.

[Edit: dez said it first again]

Edited: 07 February 2011, 02:35
Cedar City, UT
Level Contributor
307 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 7 Days for Southern UT

While you're in the Page area also include the short walk out to Horseshoe Bend Canyon......very beautiful......and Antelope Canyon will have the best light for amazing photos when the sun is overhead at noon. Even though it seems dark in the slot canyon you'll get the best photo results with the flash off.

In the 5 1/2 years we've lived in Southern Utah, that has included hiking in most of the parks, I've never seen scorpions or spiders & only one small rattlesnake, who was eager to get away from us.

At Best Friends, include a stop at Angels Rest. The sanctuary is an amazing place, run by amazing people.

Sounds as though you have a good trip planned.....enjoy.

Philadelphia, PA
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 7 Days for Southern UT

Great suggestions...you've given me a little bit of direction to start with.Thank you all!

Cheryl

8. Re: 7 Days for Southern UT

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2012, 19:18