We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Unmissable Utah

South Wales, UK
Level Contributor
375 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Unmissable Utah

Hi all

Apologies in advance for asking a question that's been answered many times - what shouldn't be missed on a drive through Utah to Las Vegas?

We're planning one to two nights in Salt Lake City, followed by the same in Park City. I've read lots of suggestions on this forum, and have ordered a number of guide books, but I thought it best to ask the experts for specific advice.

Nothing's set in stone yet, but we're thinking of spending around five days on the road. Is this long enought to see the best sights? Or would that be breakneck?

Many thanks

Torrey, Utah
Destination Expert
for Torrey, Capitol Reef National Park
Level Contributor
1,428 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Unmissable Utah

You'll need to give a bit more information about what kind of things are unmissable to you before we can help much. From your agenda it looks like you prefer cities and towns to country (SLC, PC and LV) - is that true?

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
18,935 posts
426 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Unmissable Utah

The basic drive from Salt Lake or Park City to Vegas is pretty uninteresting itself. If you can take a day or so it would be well worth visiting Bryce Canyon and Zions national parks. Is the five days you refer to over and above your visit to Salt Lake and Park City? If so, that will give you sufficient time. Plan on two nights in Bryce and three in Springdale for Zions.

South Wales, UK
Level Contributor
375 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Unmissable Utah

Sorry, Tumbleweed - you were writing at the same time as me.

Yes, the five days is over and above the other places. Thanks for your suggestions. Would Monument Valley in addition be out of the question?

Edited: 21 February 2011, 21:04
South Wales, UK
Level Contributor
375 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Unmissable Utah

I'm getting ahead of myself on these responses here.

Bob - thanks for your reply too. No, we don't prefer cities. I'm running a marathon in Park City, so it makes sense to stay there the night before and we're meeting some friends in Vegas.

What I was asking is what people who know the state think is unmissable.

Many thanks

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
28,665 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Unmissable Utah

Zion national park is a must see imo!

zionnational-park.com/images/…index22.htm

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,663 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Unmissable Utah

With just five days, and traveling from SLC to LV, I think you whould focus on the southwestern parks. As Tand C, Bryce Canyon and Zion are the primary unmissable sites, and the split of time is reasonable. However, you could also add a day to Torrey and visit Capitol Reef NP (the under-rated unmissable in the area). Perhaps this would be a good starting plan:

Day 1: Leave Park City and head to Torrey. Try to get an early start and spend the afternoon at Capitol Reef. Stay the night in Torrey. Dinner at Cafe Diablo.

Day 2: Up early again (this will be a theme) and explore route 12 from Torrey to Bryce Canyon. Enjoy the sunset over the main amphitheatre. Stay at BC or just outside the park.

Day 3: Explore BC in the morning then on to ZIon. Come in through the east entrance and enjoy the views. Explore Zion for the rest of the day (if there is daylight remaining), Stay in Springdale.

Day 4: Zion all day. Stay in Springdale.

Day 5: Zion in the morning, then on to LV. Perhaps a stop at the Valley of Fire State park near Overton NV.

That's one way you can spend your time....

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,663 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Unmissable Utah

Forgot to mention (and I'm sure to run out of time for editting the previous post), check the National Parks Service website for details on all the parks:

www.nps.gov

Also review the trip report archives at the top of the UT forum for ideas and suggestions to help plan your trip.

Lastly, here's some information on scenic route 12:

http://scenicbyway12.com/

I think you will really be amazed at the variety of landscapes, scenery and geology between the three parks I mentioned in my previous post. Each park is unique and simply beautiful.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,926 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Unmissable Utah

I like Ohio's plan. And I would not include Monument Valley in a 5 day plan from SLC to LV... stick with the western side with that slight detour to CR. They are all super great places to visit. Though there are certainly other places to visit and explore you should concentrate on a few.

South Wales, UK
Level Contributor
375 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Unmissable Utah

Who needs travel guide books when you have Tripadvisor destination experts?!

Thank you so much for your eminently sensible suggestions. I am aware of the vastness of your country (this will be our sixth visit in 13 years) and that distances are nearly always much greater than they appear from reading books and maps.

We will probably follow Ohio's itinerary closely - and thanks also for the tips, happytotrip and Kbecjeans.

Lots of homework to do, but thanks for giving us the best possible start to planning.

Best wishes

Jackie

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,663 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Unmissable Utah

Glad to be of help, Jackie. Keep the questions coming.

Have a great trip.

OH