We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

UT Trip Map: Small Loop from LV

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,642 posts
446 reviews
Save Topic
UT Trip Map: Small Loop from LV

Kbecjeans and I came up with this idea a few days ago. There are a lot of posts on the UT forums about trying to see as much as possible in a given amount of time and the best route to take. Having some examples available should help the travelers to make better plans. So, this is the first is what is planned to be a series of example itineraries including maps. The idea is to provide some ideas to travelers and to help with your trip planning.

The first trip is a round-trip loop starting in Las Vegas and taking in Zion, Bryce Canyon, Page, and the south rim of the Grand Canyon. The map for this trip is found at the following link:

http://tinyurl.com/LVshortloop

The trip can also be done in the reverse order.

The duration of the trip can vary from a minimum of one night at each destination, but is probably best served with a week to 10 days (2-3 nights each at Zion and Page, at least one night at each Bryce Canyon and Grand Canyon).

Hopefully, the combination of the trip report archives (sticky at the top of the Utah forum) and these maps will be a good tool for planning your trip to the parks of southern UT and Northern AZ.

97 replies to this topic
Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,425 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: UT Trip Map: Small Loop from LV

I like it! Gives time and distance between all the destinations.And a week to ten days allows enough time to see the sights and not be rushed.Nice work!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,834 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: UT Trip Map: Small Loop from LV

So a sample itinerary would be:

**LV- Zion. 3 hr drive with time change so 4 hr from LV. A nice detour along the way is Valley of Fire State Park just north of LV. Stay in the park at Zion Lodge, or in Springdale.

In one day at Zion you can do several of the hikes including Emerald Pools (2m), Weeping Rock (.5m), Riverside Trail (2m), and West Rim/Angel's Landing to Scout's Landing (4m).

With a two day stay you could either hike the Narrows or Observation Point, tube down the Virgin, bike the park road, visit Grafton ghost town etc.

**Zion to Bryce. 2 hr drive park to park. Along the way hike the Canyon Overlook Trail in Zion (2m). Stop at the rock shops in Orderville. Stop in Red Canyon (there are some short hikes there). Stay at the Bryce Canyon Park Lodge in the park or just outside at Ruby's Inn or the Bryce Canyon Grand.

One nice place to do a mule trip is at Bryce. There are 2 hr or half day trips.

In one day you can drive the scenic drive hike Bristlecone Pine trail (1m) and stop at the viewpoints on the way back. See all the viewpoints of the main amphitheater (Bryce, Inspiration, Sunrise, Sunset), do another hike- Navajo to Queen's Garden is a favorite (1.5m). Sunrise and sunsets are wonderful times to see the hoodoos. Another favorite activity is star-gazing.

**Bryce to Page. About 3 hrs. Things to do along the way: Best Friends Animal Shelter north of Kanab (tour or volunteer), Little Hollywood walk of fame in Kanab, old movie night at the Parry hotel (all movies filmed nearby), Paria hoodoos at milemarker 18, Big Water Visitor Center for Grand Staircase-Escalante monument, Wahweap Overlook. Stay Page

One day at Page you can tour Antelope Canyons, tour Glen Canyon Dam ($5), hike to Horseshoe Bend Overlook (1.5m.), and maybe a boat tour on Lake Powell.

With another day in Page you can add a half or whole day raft trip on the Colorado River down what is left of Glen Canyon. Or take a tour to Rainbow Bridge one of the largest natural bridges in the world. Or rent a boat and a tube and take your own tour of the lake. Or see the other Antelope Canyon, or take a tour of some of the other slot canyons in the area.

**Page to Grand Canyon about 3 hrs. A nice detour (if you didn't take the river rafting trip which ends here) would be to Lee's Ferry where you can see the Colorado at river level, visit old Lonely Dell Ranch, and walk across the first bridge across the Colorado at Navajo Bridge. Stop at Cameron's Trading post for some nice shopping and a Navajo Taco.

Enter the Grand Canyon through the East Entrance and stop for your first view at Desert View. Stop at Tusayan Ruins stop on the left. Each of the other view points along the drive give a different view of the canyon. Once at the village take a walk along the rim near Mather Point. Stay in the park at any of the lodges if at all possible. El Tovar is the nicest, but any will do. Again sunrise and sunset at the canyon are memorable.

The next day take the shuttle to Hermits Rest and enjoy the stops along the way, walking between some of them and watch for condors.

With another day at the park you could take a hike down one of the corridor trails. It is not advised to take the trail to the bottom in one day as this is a strenuous hike back up and in the summer temperatures can soar to over 100F at river level. But a hike to one of the rest stops on Bright Angel trail or to Ooh-Aah point on the South Kaibab will both give you a better view of the canyon and get you away from some of the crowds.

**Grand Canyon to LV. 5 hr. Route 66 stops along the way at Seligman. Enjoy the new Hoover bypass bridge and stop for views of the dam (tours are $30).

This is a very brief overview of sample options.

Edited: 17 March 2011, 03:22
wixom, michigan
Level Contributor
50 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: UT Trip Map: Small Loop from LV

Planning a trip very similar to this in Sept. However, would prefer going from Page to the north rim of the Grand Canyon, rather than the South, then back to Vegas. Is this possible? What is the difference in drive times?

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,642 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: UT Trip Map: Small Loop from LV

Sure it is possible. Take 89 south out of Page then cut over on alternate 89 through Marbel Canyon (with a stop at Lee's Ferry and Navajo Bridge on the way) to get to the North Rim.

Drive time and distance are about the same to Las Vegas from either the North Rim or South Rim.

Here's the map (I hope):

http://tinyurl.com/Page-NR-LV-map

utah
Level Contributor
1,374 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: UT Trip Map: Small Loop from LV

According to Google maps the total time driving from Page to Las Vegas is almost exactly the same whether you go to the south or north rim approximately 7 hours 45 minutes - it is maybe 10 minutes less to go to the south rim.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,834 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: UT Trip Map: Small Loop from LV

RedWingFan, The North Rim would be a great alternative with this route. Be sure to stop at the Navajo Bridges and Lee's Ferry, have lunch at Cliff Dweller's in Marble Canyon, and grab a cookie at Jacob's Lake.

Other places you could visit on the way back to LV would be the Lefevre Rest stop just north of Jacob's Lake where you can see part of the "Grand Staircase" of gigantic geologic formation, Coral Pink Sand dunes SP near Kanab and the Pipe Springs NM all by itself along that southern swing.

Obviously all that would increase the actual drive time.

PA
Level Contributor
9 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: UT Trip Map: Small Loop from LV

GREAT JOB! This is exactly what I have been looking for. Now just need a little help to fine tune the trip. (1) We are thinking of adding Sedona. Would we be missing great stuff if we dropped Bryce? Is the Bryce experience duplicated at Zion and GC? (2) What is the difficulty level of the day hikes that you suggested? (3) We are planning a mid-June trip, so we expect the 90-100 degree days, so, if we devote the full day in the park, do we need to carry in a full day's supply of water and snacks, or are there places to buy water and food?

Edited: 05 May 2011, 14:41
utah
Level Contributor
1,374 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: UT Trip Map: Small Loop from LV

Here's my take on Bryce (others will have a different opinion):

1) Bryce isn't duplicated anywhere else. It is unique.

2) Bryce is very scenic. It's a great opportunity for photography & seeing stars.

3) There is a really good 3 mile or so hike in Bryce - Navajo/Queens Garden loop, but half of it is currently closed due to all the recent precipitation.

4) Bryce is pretty simple and there isn't a ton to it. Honestly for me, Bryce is kind of like OK I've been looking at this canyon for 15 minutes, it's pretty but now I'm bored, let's move on. There is a scenic drive I've never done and a mule ride that can be done. So I'd pick Sedona over Bryce, but that is based on my preferences for variety and lots to do.

You will want to plan to bring your own water & food for the most part. Zion has a lodge with food for sale and free potable water, but it won't be very convenient to get to the lodge for most of the places you are going. The other parks have very limited to no options.

Edited: 05 May 2011, 16:14
Atascadero...
Destination Expert
for Lake Powell
Level Contributor
1,489 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: UT Trip Map: Small Loop from LV

OH and kbec...very nicely done...this should be a great help to a lot of people...of course you realize you're just opening up a can of worms, raising the bar for everyone out there giving advice....really nice work, puts it all in perspective.

Now you've just got to publish your own guide with this and all the alternate loops you could do...excellent job...

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,642 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: UT Trip Map: Small Loop from LV

Thanks, JFR. I was actually a lot of fun putting these route options together (I learned a bit about Google Maps along the way as well!). There are a lot of variations, but Kbec and I thought these were a good starting point for most folks.

Reply to: UT Trip Map: Small Loop from LV
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted