We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best cell phone company for Utah coverage?

Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
350 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Best cell phone company for Utah coverage?

For our US trip we plan to buy the cheapest simplest cell-phone with a pre-paid card that we can pick up at a supermarket.

Our route covers SLC, Zion, Bryce, North Rim GC, Page Route 12.

Do some telephone companies offer better coverage for these areas than others (also Grand Tetons and Yellowstone, although from what I gather coverage in Yellowstone is so spotty that whatever phone we buy will probably not function well up there)?

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,926 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best cell phone company for Utah coverage?

ATT, Verizon, T-Mobile and Sprint. They are all covered about as well. Though some of the places you'll be won't have coverage at all-- like Yellowstone.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,933 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best cell phone company for Utah coverage?

I have a work phone with the Sprint network and reception is bad once you leave the Nevada/Utah state line.

My other phone is on the Verizion network and it works pretty good.No matter what network you choose, you will find a lot of dead spots in certain areas.

Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
350 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best cell phone company for Utah coverage?

Thank you both for the info.

Southern California
Level Contributor
10 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best cell phone company for Utah coverage?

My DH and I visited Zion, Bryce & Arches NP + Heber City Utah & Vegas. I have Verizon and had "some" coverage through out the trip. "Some" means that I had 1-3 bars on most ocassions but there were times when I had NO coverage. Also, calls did not come through most days while I was hiking & I didnt get bars until I was back at my cabin & had to "push" for messages. My DH is on AT&T and didnt have coverage THE WHOLE TIME until we got back to Vegas.

Torrey, Utah
Destination Expert
for Torrey, Capitol Reef National Park
Level Contributor
1,429 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best cell phone company for Utah coverage?

AT&T have just taken over Alltel in southern Utah so their coverage has improved somewhat.

Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
350 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best cell phone company for Utah coverage?

Looks like Verizon or T-Mobile then, and being prepared for only partial coverage whatever we buy.

Will all the large supermarkets off the I-15 heading North from SLC carry basic pre-paids?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
89 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Best cell phone company for Utah coverage?

There will be Walmart/Targets along the way and they're sure to have them.

Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
350 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best cell phone company for Utah coverage?

Thanks to all of you for your help.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
18,935 posts
426 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best cell phone company for Utah coverage?

One very important note. Coverage on pre-paid phones IS NOT the same as for those who have a regular account on the same carrier. That is especially true when traveling into more remote areas such as parks. You would be wise to look at actual prepaid coverage maps on the respective carriers' websites.

Note, too, that some carriers also use a different brand name for their prepaid products. For example, Boost Mobile is actually owned by Sprint.

You can purchase prepaid phones pretty much everywhere, as noted earlier. But you'll probably get a bit more knowledgeable sales staff to help you with coverage questions at a Best Buy, Radio Shack, etc.

Have fun, looks like a great trip.

Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
350 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best cell phone company for Utah coverage?

T & C thanks for that important addition.

I don't know how up to date or accurate the information in the attached link is, but it look as though with all the pre-paids coverage is extremely limited.

http://nordicgroup.us/prepaid/coverage.html

Since we'll be leaving our eldest son who is doing his compulsory military service at home, and would really like to be able to maintain contact with him in real-time, that's a problem.