We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental Car for the Big Loop

Maryland
Level Contributor
36 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Rental Car for the Big Loop

We are doing the Big Loop tour from Sept 21 - October 6. Should we get an SUV? Does anyone have any recommendations for reasonably priced reliable rental companies? Thanks so much.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,933 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental Car for the Big Loop

You really don't need an SUV, everywhere you are going is paved.Rent whatever you feel comfortabe driving.I always rent from a major rental company like Hertz, Enterprise. Shop around, prices can really vary from week to week.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
60,176 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental Car for the Big Loop

Agreeing. Rent what you feel comfortable driving on paved highways. An SUV might give better visibility, especially for rear seat passengers. Otherwise, it really won't matter.

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,663 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental Car for the Big Loop

I concur with dez and RR. I tend to rent a small SUV as that is what I drive at home, so it is a comfort thing, but it is not required for the route you are planning.

I have had very good success with Enterprise.

Roosevelt, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rental Car for the Big Loop

Once you get traveling, if you find you need a 4x4 rental look for one locally or hire a guide who has SUV's. Many locations have 4x4 rentals and good guides. You'll save a ton of $ on fuel this way.

Have a great trip!

*Pixie*

Maryland
Level Contributor
36 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rental Car for the Big Loop

Great idea PixieC!

6. Re: Rental Car for the Big Loop

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2012, 13:18