We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whats best to see in Capilol Reef & Arches?

Sidcup
Level Contributor
14 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Whats best to see in Capilol Reef & Arches?

I'm doing a trip at the end of Sept ( 2011) have two nights in Capitol Reef and 3 nights in Moab- what would you recommend we see-Most of the party have some mobility problems- all able to walk but not far- so it would be helpful to have the best views via scenic routes and easy acess sites with no more than a mile to walk. Also is there a good scenic route from Zion to Capitol Reef and is it feasible to drive from Moab to Canyonlands lots of questions - would be greatful for any advice

thanks

Mentioned in this post
1. Re: Whats best to see in Capilol Reef & Arches?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 10 September 2011, 18:19
Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
1,824 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Whats best to see in Capilol Reef & Arches?

Moved to Utah forum.

Mentioned in this post
Utah
Utah
United States
Torrey, Utah
Destination Expert
for Torrey, Capitol Reef National Park
Level Contributor
1,551 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whats best to see in Capilol Reef & Arches?

The central area of Capitol Reef is flat with orchards and at the end of September you should be able to pick apples in some of them, easy walking with fantastic cliff views around you. At the end of the scenic drive is Capitol Gorge, a narrow twisting canyon with a good dirt road normally driveable by any vehicle other than an RV. At the road end the gorge continues with a flat path which is very nice to walk along to the Pioneer Register and a side canyon to The Tanks, the latter may be too strenuous for mobility impaired visitors however. There are a couple of short walks at the Goosenecks Overview parking area though they do involve some rock steps.

Zion to Capitol Reef takes in some amazing scenery, exit to the east of Zion on 9, 89 north to 12 east/north. UT12 is one of the most scenic highways in America, it will take you at least 4 hours to cover the whole 120 miles without visiting Bryce Canyon which you will pass.

Not sure what you mean by 'feasible to drive from Moab to Canyonlands' - what else would you do?

Mentioned in this post
Capitol Reef Resort
Capitol Reef Resort
1,455 Reviews
Torrey, UT
Pioneer Park
Pioneer Park
399 Reviews
St. George, UT
Moab
Moab
Utah
Sidcup
Level Contributor
14 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Whats best to see in Capilol Reef & Arches?

Thanks Bob- sorry what I meant by feasible is whether its too much to be done as a day trip from Moab

Mentioned in this post
Moab
Moab
Utah
Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
455 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Whats best to see in Capilol Reef & Arches?

Are you planning on stopping at Bryce Canyon? Sounds like you are going from Zion to Capitol Reef to Moab. I'll suggest at least a drive through of Bryce Canyon. You can get a good flavor of BC with a stop at the visitor center, a walk around the main amphitheatre (amazing views of the rock formations and the trail in this area is level and paved) and if you have more time perhaps the scenic drive in the park (several overlooks along the drive).

Mentioned in this post
Sidcup
Level Contributor
14 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Whats best to see in Capilol Reef & Arches?

Thanks Bob, Going from Zion ( 2 nights) to Tropic (1 Night) Capitol Reef (2 nights) 3 nights in Moab, then onto Bluff for 1 night then Grand Canyon south rim for 4 nights. Were planning on stopping off to see Bryce Canyon we plan to eat at Rubys Inn but couldnt get accomodation so staying in Tropic. We were hoping to see Arches and some Canyonlands from Moab . I was wondering whether we could see Natural Bridges on route to Bluff. We couldnt get accomodation in Bluff so looking at doing a drive through monument Valley onto the Grand Canyon South. Appreciating your advice!!

Mentioned in this post
Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
18,602 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Whats best to see in Capilol Reef & Arches?

If you are not a big hiker, you may find 4 nights at the Grand Canyon about 2 nights too many. You may want to think about adding those two nights to Sedona, or adding a night at Monument Valley.

Mentioned in this post
Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
455 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Whats best to see in Capilol Reef & Arches?

I concur with dez40 on the amount of time at the Grand Canyon. It is a beautiful and wonderous place, but as it seems you will not be doing major hiking, you will be able to cover the park from the rim in much less time. Sedona is a great add on for the trip, as mentioned. Another option is Page AZ (Antelope Canyon is accessible and an easy walk, the upper canyon is a flat walk, the lower canyon has some ladders, I believe; also Glen Canyon Dam, perhaps a boat ride on Lake Powell to Rainbow Bridge...lots of options).

Mentioned in this post
Antelope Canyon
Antelope Canyon
6,361 Reviews
Page, AZ
Rainbow Bridge
Rainbow Bridge
102 Reviews
Lake Powell, UT
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
Page
Page
Arizona
Sidcup
Level Contributor
14 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Whats best to see in Capilol Reef & Arches?

Thanks Fellas- we opted for the extra night at the Grand Canyon because we couldn't get accommodation near Monument Valley. I've done Grand Canyon South, Zion and Bryce before but the rest is all new to me, but as I'm the only driver I thought it might be nice just to have an extra day of rest - just sitting and soaking in the view. Accommodation is all booked up now so too late to change

Mentioned in this post
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
63,362 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Whats best to see in Capilol Reef & Arches?

Four nights at the GCNP is way too much. I agree that you should spend at least two of them in Sedona. There are few places in the world that are more relaxing than Sedona.

Cancelling your room at GCNP for two nights will have no penalty.

Edited: 11 September 2011, 23:56
Mentioned in this post
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona