We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendations on driving to Toroweap in January

California
Level Contributor
743 posts
101 reviews
Save Topic
Recommendations on driving to Toroweap in January

I'll be in the area in January and was thinking of going to Toroweap for a day, assuming that the road is dry. I've reviewed a lot of the threads about Toroweap, including from the recent GTG. I'm still not sure about it. I want to go, but am a little (or more than a little) concerned about two people driving there on our own.

If you were in my situation, would you do a day trip there? And, if so, any recommendations (besides making sure that we have a spare tire)?

Thanks

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
16,263 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommendations on driving to Toroweap in January

Well, first of course, don't go if the conditions are bad, wet etc.

Our first time we went alone and didn't give it a second thought.

I was sure glad I wasn't alone this time, It was sure nice to have that support.

It is a gorgeous view, and if you are able to go I guess I would recommend you do it. Just take it easy over that last couple of miles.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
18,679 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommendations on driving to Toroweap in January

If you go, make sure the road is dry.I have heard that the road in from Colorado City can have more issues with mud than the route in from Fredonia.

I have done the route in from Fredonia twice now, once at night, once in the day,and even when dry, you can see deep ruts left over from when someone did the road when it was wet. If its dry, the first 50 odd miles can clicked off at a pretty good pace. Once you hit the ranger station, it becomes rocky and slower going.You really don't need a 4x4 for that stretch, its easily done in two wheel drive, you just need a vehicle with clearance.That section of the road was more chewed up from when I first went, and the silt bed looked like it was gravelled over,but still not a bad road. Having said that, if the weather turned bad once you were out there ,and in January it very well could, a 4x4 would give you a better shot at getting back to the highway, if the road got wet.

As for recommendations, have a spare tire, the jack and tools to remove it, as well as a tire plug/repair kit that you know how to use and a portable air compressor to fill the tire.Also bring some tools and fluids in case something happens to your car.Bring food and drinks and extra clothes in case something happens and you have to spend the night.

We just went at a pretty popular time of year on the weekend and only saw maybe three cars on the road in and out. Saw a rancher or hunter in a Toyota twice.More cars straggled in and out as we sat and ate lunch.

You will be pretty much on your own out there, where cell phones will not work. You may want to consider a Spot tracker to let your family track you from home, or rent a sat phone for a couple days.They are not that costly to rent for just a few days.

Its a pretty unique place to see, you will love it. Just do a little planning, and be flexible if the weather turns bad.

Edited: 01 November 2011, 17:47
Mentioned in this post
Colorado
Colorado
United States
Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommendations on driving to Toroweap in January

The last 6 miles were very rough. Thanks to our excellent driver we made it. As Dez said, stricktly high clearance. Personaly I would not want to drive on my own but that's just me.

California
Level Contributor
743 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommendations on driving to Toroweap in January

Thanks for the detailed recommendation. I'm not so sure about spending a night out there in January. It'll be cool enough during the day. I'd rather take that risk during the summer. And I will be back in the area in June.

OTOH, it sure does look beautiful. I'll probably play it by ear and decide at the last minute.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,679 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommendations on driving to Toroweap in January

Here is another link for Toroweap in winter.

…utah.com/2010/01/toroweap-in-winter.html

California
Level Contributor
743 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommendations on driving to Toroweap in January

Thanks for the link. I had seen that article and it had got me to thinking that maybe going in January would work. He sure does make it sound like a great time to go.

I'm still pretty torn about it. We'll be so close and we have time to go. I guess we'll just have to see what the weather is like after we get there. Well, in all honesty, what's going to happen is that we'll make all the necessary preparations and if the weather is good, we'll go. I do like the idea of getting a satellite phone, just in case. Any idea where I could rent one?

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,679 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Recommendations on driving to Toroweap in January

Not sure where you are in CA, but they rent them all over.

We used to rent at this place in SanDiego, and pick the phones up before heading to Baja. It was convenient.Then eventually most everyone bought one.You can rent them for about $20-30/week.

www.allroadsat.com

Another cool device is the Spot tracker.

www.findmespot.com

Didn't you get a Wave Permit in January?

Mentioned in this post
San Diego
San Diego
California
California
Level Contributor
743 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Recommendations on driving to Toroweap in January

Yep, sure did. So I'll definitely be in the neighborhood for a trip to Toroweap. These devices would come in handy for hiking to the Wave, too.

Mentioned in this post
The Wave at Coyote Buttes
The Wave at Coyote Buttes
273 Reviews
Big Water, UT
Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
112 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Recommendations on driving to Toroweap in January

Definately go (if conditions are right). Wife and I went in Sept by ourselves. Loved it. Like everyone says, take the proper precautions and enjoy yourselves.

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Recommendations on driving to Toroweap in January

You've received good advice. I'll only add that the road from the park entrance to Toroweap Point is very rough and takes nerve and patience to negotiate. In places it's almost rock crawling and in other places has the sharpest rocks I've driven over. So be sure you have good tires and spare plus a plug kit and compressor as mentioned. You most likely won't need it, but you'll feel better about having it. I was there for two nights one August and saw day trippers come in all sorts of vehicles including one mini-van full of boy scouts that arrived on its mini spare. I've always wondered how they got out.

During summer a ranger is stationed out there and patrols during the day. Maybe not during winter. You could call the park to check.

Like everyplace at Grand Canyon, pictures are great but it's awesome in person. So go if the weather allows and you're properly prepared.

Mentioned in this post