We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

24hr gas stations

Manchester
Level Contributor
66 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
24hr gas stations

Have been very good and done all our research to check there are enough gas stations on our route thru Utah that will still be open when we are out of the parks, but just remembered that last year we couldn't use the pay at pump function with our uk credit cards due to the zip code validation, which effectively restricts us to stations only when manned? Is this likely to cause an issue whilst driving the large loop of Utah parks if you only tend to get to gas stations after dark? Do those prepaid visa cards etc work in the pumps as a potential solution for us? Any other ideas?

Moab, Utah
Destination Expert
for Moab
Level Contributor
3,331 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 24hr gas stations

In Utah the only gas stations that have rejected our foreign credit card were near downtown SLC. Outside of that I just put in any zip code and the pump is happy. Mostly I've used 84101 or 84532. Previously I've been scolded for suggesting such a thing but it still works for us.

But how late are you going to be out looking for gas? Stations are open a lot. You'd be unlucky not to find a manned one.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
17,487 posts
403 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 24hr gas stations

What type of card are you using? For the most part, the only card on which I've been asked for a zip code is American Express. I've not encountered it with Visa. In any case, I think if you're prudent in filling up when you have the opportunity, I can't see it being a real problem. What's your route? Maybe we can pinpoint any potential issues.

FYI, I believe California recently passed a law prohibiting credit card companies from asking for ZIP codes. It's a nuisance.

Manchester
Level Contributor
66 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 24hr gas stations

I have had it with Amex certainly, but I thought we also tried my visa without luck. It sounds like between manned stations and trying

The visa and trying a random zip we should get by. I will post a route nearer the time though so hopefully we can avoid problem areas.

Manchester
Level Contributor
66 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 24hr gas stations

Removing double post

Edited: 01 May 2012, 15:37
Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
Level Contributor
6,171 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 24hr gas stations

I know what you mean with the Zip code requirement. When gas stations are few and far between(in areas) it doesn't always work to travel down the road to the next one.I haven't encountered this issue in Utah yet with a VISA, but it is more common the farther south you go.I have never heard of this problem in Northern US yet. Best to arm yourself with a Zip code as Noel suggested, just in case.

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
498 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 24hr gas stations

Our credit card rewards are now sent to us via a Prepaid VISA and they won't work at the gas pump. Probably because they don't know how much is available on the card and the charge doesn't go through until you've filled your tank.

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
498 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 24hr gas stations

When stores here ask my zip code for their advertising purposes I use the one from a famous show "90210" Beverly Hills. I'm sure that messes up their marketing charts..lol

Torrey, Utah
Destination Expert
for Torrey, Capitol Reef National Park
Level Contributor
1,360 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 24hr gas stations

I don't have Amex and I've experienced it regularly in southern Utah with Visa/MC , Chevron and Texaco seem to be the worst offenders.

Moab, Utah
Destination Expert
for Moab
Level Contributor
3,331 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 24hr gas stations

That's right. I used to use 90210 as well.

10. Re: 24hr gas stations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 12:40