We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Must See Stops Along I70

I B
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Must See Stops Along I70

I am moving to St Louis from San Francisco for graduate school in early August. We are road trippin' it with a u-haul trailer and a car. We plan to take I70 most of the way, since I've read that's the more preferred route.

We are looking to do the trip in moderate time, 5-7 days. What are some of the must see stops along the way? Also, any advice for where to camp overnight along the way too would be greatly appreciated!

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
17,730 posts
413 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Must See Stops Along I70

Well, I don't see that I-70 would be the preferred route. For sure, cutting up to I-80 will give you the fastest Interstate only route to San Fran. I-70 is very scenic including the section through the Colorado Rockies of Denver and the cut through the San Rafael Swell west of Green River, Utah. You also have interesting sidetrips like Moab, UT, etc.

But, you will eventually have to leave I-70 and cut across the Nevada desert on 93/95/6 and either go through Yosemite (which would be very scenic) or go around through Tahoe.

So, for scenery and interesting sidetrips, choose I-70. But for the most expeditious route, get up to I-80 and across.

Have fun.

Roosevelt, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
1,132 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Must See Stops Along I70

In case you do decide to take I-70 through Utah...

In Green River, UT there is a good campground at Green River State Park: http://stateparks.utah.gov/parks/green-river.

While there, you could plan a visit to Sego Canyon and see the magnificent rock art left behind (Barrier, Fremont and Ute). blm.gov/ut/…sego_canyon.html

A great stop in the San Rafael Swell is Black Dragon Canyon. The road to this canyon is NOT at an exit! It's just a "turn-off" on the freeway just after mile marker 147 (you'll have to open and shut a BLM gate~). http://www.utah.com/hike/black_dragon.htm

(4x4 not required, even though it's is a dirt road!) The rock art here is absolutely worth a stop; it's easy to find and admire. Explore the canyon if you have time, then return to the freeway the way you came.

Near Richfield, UT (next to the Fremont Indian State Park) is a great campground called Castle Rock Campground: …utah.gov/parks/fremont/maps/castle-rock. It's nestled in the trees and very private! A visit to Fremont Indian State Park nearby would be a great stop.

Have a great trip through Utah!

*Pixie*

Edited: 03 May 2012, 18:03
Santa Ana, CA
Level Contributor
3,193 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Must See Stops Along I70

Near the area Pixie mentions is IMO the two most scenic rest stops in America. I'm sorry I don't know the exit numbers or names.

You can check on a map, east of Salina, Utah is a junction with highway 10 and then about half way between there and the town of Green River.

Roosevelt, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
1,132 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Must See Stops Along I70

DannyS, I love the views from the rest stops you mention!

Just west of the turn to Hwy 24/Hanksville is the viewpoint for Little Spotted Wolf Canyon, where the road cuts through the San Rafael Reef. The other viewpoint is near the exit to Devils Canyon (and the Moore cutoff road) at MM 116, in the heart of the Swell.

*Pixie*

Torrey, Utah
Destination Expert
for Torrey, Capitol Reef National Park
Level Contributor
1,396 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Must See Stops Along I70

"But, you will eventually have to leave I-70 and cut across the Nevada desert on 93/95/6 and either go through Yosemite (which would be very scenic) or go around through Tahoe."

Poster is going SF->SL.

Not sure you are allowed to take a U-Haul through Yosemite anyway?

I would take I80 to US50 (Sac) to I70 and on...

Stop at every overlook on I70 east of Salina until you get down Spotted Wolf Pass (you'll know!) They are all different and have great views.

Torrey, Utah
Destination Expert
for Torrey, Capitol Reef National Park
Level Contributor
1,396 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Must See Stops Along I70

Actually I would not take US50 at Sac, I would take I80 past Reno then cut over to US50 - you've probably been to Tahoe and a U-Haul on 50 wouldn't be that much fun from Sac to US395.

7. Re: Must See Stops Along I70

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 15:16