We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

UK Family require help and advice please.

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
251 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
UK Family require help and advice please.

Planning aug 2013 trip start lv ( have a 15 year old i have to please who is not into national parks). The route i am thinking of is: lv to zion 1 night, then to bryce 2 nights, moving on tio lake powell for rainbow arch 1 or 2 nights (unsure advice please). I really want to see a slot canyon i beleive antelope canyon near page has these do you need a guide to help you find your way. We are family of 4 youngest 13. Whenwe went to yesomite we used a guide to do a full moon hike to sentinel dome and were really please we did, hopefully that gives you an idea of our limit of braveness.

Also are ther huge sandunes at page?. then moving on to Bluff for monument valley, then either Durrango for the train trip or williams for the gc train trip . We have also been advised to take in seddona. then back to lv for a couple of nights for the 15 to coaster it out then fly home. we have abouit 18 days. Please any advice would be appreciated, even if it knocks my plans. I know lv and its not my first choice however I have a lot of boxes to tick on this trip for 4 people. Cheers ali

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,828 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: UK Family require help and advice please.

I like your general idea. And you have started early so that helps so you can get lodging.

Day 1- LV to Zion - stay two nights here,

Day 2- start the fun early and go canyoneering: zionadventures.com/zion-park-tours/…

Day 3 more Zion in the morning then off to Bryce (although the grand daddy of all slot canyons is the Narrows in Zion and it is a fantastic hike. You just start hiking up the river into the bowels of the earth. If you decide on that then stay another night in Zion )

Day 4 Horseback riding into the hoodoos http://www.canyonrides.com/ Do a half day morning then on to Page. and btw There are full moon hikes in Bryce as well if you liked that. Or if you are there during a dark night check out the stars hopefully someone with a telescope would be there to point out what there is to see.

Day 5 Rainbow Bridge tour would be good, or maybe a raft trip down the Colorado River both have fantastic scenery, a little more educational on the raft trip http://raftthecanyon.com/ There are two Antelope Canyons, Lower and Upper. They are both fantastic, Upper is shorter and more level ground, taller walls, lower has lots of ladders to climb down, plan two hours for either of them. The best light in Upper is middle of the day, hard to do with a boat tour as well, but not to worry, it is nice any time of the day.

Day 6- To Monument Valley. You could stay in the park at the View, or just outside the park at Gouldings Lodge. Both would be better than Bluff for MV. Though Bluff is good for other things like a river trip down the San Juan http://www.riversandruins.com/ , or checking out the ancient ruins in the area, or visiting the old fort, or taking a trip up the Moki Dugway and out to Goosenecks SP. So maybe add a day and stay in Bluff as well as MV

Day 7 Train trip in Durango by a LOOOOONGGGG shot! Plan two or three days for the drive over there and back and to see the town.

Day 8 Grand Canyon - go in the east entrance, stay in the park

day 9, Sedona for a couple days, take a pink jeep tour, watch the sunset on the rocks, slide down Slide Rock park

Okay, Back to LV. Obviously I did the bare minimum days so you can add some here and there where it sounds good to you. Maybe your 15 yo will discover that parks are more than beautiful scenery, nothing wrong with experience with nature.

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
251 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: UK Family require help and advice please.

yep she got yeomite and vancouver island, i just want everyone to enjoy them selves and not get to the point where you seen one range of maountains you have seen them all. Thanks for al the advice, are there any highways that would be more scenic than others that you are aware of. cheers. Just reading about the drinking laws ( will we be able to get a beer at the end of the day? thanks again ali

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,828 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: UK Family require help and advice please.

Yes, everywhere you are planning to be you will be able to get a beer except at Monument Valley which is on the Navajo Reservation where alcohol is not allowed.

Some highways may be more scenic than others, but with this plan so far you only have a couple options for roads anyway, so I wouldn't worry about that.

And I think if you mix the activities up so it isn't all just "look at the pretty scenery" then you won't get bored with it at all. There are plenty of opportunities to enjoy the scenery in an interactive way and that can make a big difference in how much everyone gets some thing from the trip.

Edited: 09 May 2012, 17:56
Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
7,383 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: UK Family require help and advice please.

First off, you might want to click on the upper right corner of your browser window where it says "More About Utah" and "Top Questions About Utah" for several recommended loops. You're sort of going all over the place here and not in a good way.

So if I'm reading right you have:

- Las Vegas (not sure how many nights you'll spend here to start or are you planning on driving straight to Zion after your flight gets in?)

-1 night Zion

-2 nights Bryce

-1 or 2 nights Page (interested in Lake Powell & rainbow arch, antelope canyon)

- Monument Valley (Bluff)

- Durango (train) or Grand Canyon (train)

- Las Vegas

First off, most folks recommend more nights in Zion than in Bryce so I would flip that and do 2 nights in Zion and 1 night in Bryce. Zion has more different hikes and Bryce is a smaller park so generally one day is sufficient for Bryce.

Yes, you get a guide for Antelope Canyon in Page. I haven't done Lake Powell (big man made reservoirs don't interest me), but we did enjoy the float trip down the Colorado that starts at the Glen Canyon Dam in Page.

And for the big sand dunes, maybe you're thinking of Coral Pink Sand Dunes

(http://stateparks.utah.gov/parks/coral-pink) which is near Kanab?

As far as Monument Valley, most people recommend staying in MV at either The View or Gouldings. Not in Bluff. Not a big draw for me again, but YMMV.

Are you planning to go to the Grand Canyon at all? Or are you trying to choose between the Grand Canyon and Durango? Durango is pretty far out of your way and the Grand Canyon really shouldn't be missed if you've not seen it and you're going everywhere else around it. I have not heard great things about the train trip from Williams and haven't done it myself. Most folks prefer to have lodging at the Grand Canyon Village, but if you've got a train enthusiast amongst your group it might be good.

While I really like Durango I think that's a different trip. If you're wanting to visit somewhere east I'd suggest Moab (Arches and Canyonlands) instead. I'd include Durango on a trip that includes New Mexico sites and Mesa Verde as well.

I think your 15 year old might like Sedona, so it's worth researching.

Take a look at that link for "top questions about Utah" and see if that helps with your plans.

Santa Ana, CA
Level Contributor
3,205 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: UK Family require help and advice please.

My number one choice for a cold beer at the end of a hot day is to bring your own. Just north of Las Vegas is the town of Mesquite, Nevada. You can stop in the Wal-Mart or Smiths supermarket and buy a cheap styrofoam ice chest, or cooler. Plus stock up.

In Springdale, Utah, the small town at the entrance to Zion NP, are a couple of small markets and a Shell gas station that sell local brews. You can buy a six-pack of Polygamy Porter!

Otherwise, the closest beer to Monument Valley is at the San Juan Inn in Mexican Hat.

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
251 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: UK Family require help and advice please.

Hi thanks for all help will digest and research then ask again. Thanks for now.

7. Re: UK Family require help and advice please.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2013, 02:16