We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Annular Eclipse Today!

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
17,997 posts
415 reviews
Save Topic
Annular Eclipse Today!

This is it, the day we've all been waiting for! This evening Utah will be ground zero for a magnificent annular eclipse. Weather is looking great. Here's a link to an interactive map from NASA to give you all the details.

…nasa.gov/SEgoogle/…SE2012May20Agoogle.html

Our plan of attack is a drive down to Kolob Canyons for a brief visit, then find a good spot in either Kanarraville if it isn't too crazy or head out 56 west of Cedar City.

Enjoy and make sure to view only with proper eyewear or solar viewers!

Edited: 20 May 2012, 13:56
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,834 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Annular Eclipse Today!

So you have decided to come! We are in Cedar CIty now still trying to decide where we'll watch from.

Cedar City, UT
Level Contributor
307 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Annular Eclipse Today!

Yes Tumbleweed.....very exciting,

My husband and I are running down to Kanarraville right now, to check out the activities, before the highway gets too busy, then back home to begin prep. for our lawn eclipse BBQ.

After all of my running around the countryside to pick a great viewing site my husband pointed out that our yard, dining room and even our master bedroom all have perfect, unobstructed views with the sun not dropping below the Western mountain horizon until 8:40pm so the camp chairs are coming out of the garage.

I still think that it would be fun to be where the astronomers, telescopes and excited crowd are, but when the local paper last week, put the possible attendance in Kanarraville at 40,000 our lawn was looking like the place to be. If we didn't have that available to us we'd be heading out Hwy 56, where I'm sure there will be lots of folks out there as well, but a lot more space.

As the guy in Kanarraville was quoted: "the more calls we get from groups coming, the smaller that 5 acre field we've designated, is looking."

It will be fun to hear all reports tomorrow.

Moab, Utah
Destination Expert
for Moab
Level Contributor
3,344 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Annular Eclipse Today!

Heading that way now. Two Australians, white Jeep, somewhere west of Cedar City, you can't miss us :)

Cedar City, UT
Level Contributor
307 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Annular Eclipse Today!

Kbec,

I think if we hadn't decided to do our viewing from the lawn, we'd be heading to Newcastle as I can't imagine how Kanarraville is even going to handle the parking if tens of thousands show up, much less the bodies.

We're going down there now, just to see how many RV's are already parked. I'll post when we get back.

Another good viewing spot would be up Cedar Mountain, directly above Cedar City, to the East. You go up hwy14 a few miles, and there's a road to the right (well before the slide) that goes up to the Cedar Highlands development and then continues on to Kolob Reservoir, with several pull outs along the way that go to pastures with amazing views of the valley and western sky.

All the locals are familiar with it so it may also be busy, but not like Kanarraville.

TN
Level Contributor
506 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Annular Eclipse Today!

Enjoy and please post pictures for those of us who will be envying you! :0

Cedar City, UT
Level Contributor
307 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Annular Eclipse Today!

After driving down Int. 15 to the New Harmony exit, south of Kanaraville and back north on the frontage road into town, we realized what great parking/viewing there will be along that two lane road as the shoulders are wide, grassy, flat and with great views to the west. The same is true going out of town, towards Cedar. Actually, it would be difficult to find a place, in the Cedar and kanarraville area that won't have unobstructed views.

The designated lot in Kanarraville looks pretty small for the vehicles and people they're expecting, but the porta potties and trash barrels are inplace and the vendors are already setting up.

Mother Nature has cooperated with a cloudless day that is predicted to remain that way this evening.

Great fun.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
17,997 posts
415 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Annular Eclipse Today!

Yes, on our way. Would like to do Kanarraville with a close friend who will be there. But if it looks like tons and tons of people we may head out into the desert. Watch for us - Black Audi Q5 with U.S. Ski Team marking.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
2,302 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Annular Eclipse Today!

I'm sorry I wasn't able to join everyone in Cedar City. I'll be watching from Las Vegas - not a full-on eclipse, but it will be close enough.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,834 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Annular Eclipse Today!

Aargh, Kanarraville or Newcastle. I am still tossing it up in the air. We found a great pull off in Newcastle if we want to avoid crowds. But actually being with other people can sometimes be part of the fun.

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,642 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Annular Eclipse Today!

I hope y'all all have a great view. Looking forward to the event reports and the photos.