We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

camera filters

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
163 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
camera filters

What type of filter do you use for Red Rock Country? I am a beginner in this . Do you use a different filter for sunrise/sunset time compared to high afternoon time? I use Canon lenses. Thanks for any help.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
19,370 posts
426 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: camera filters

It's really personal preference, but I do not use any filters when shooting there other than the VERY occasional use of either a polarizer or graduated ND filter. Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it at all.

I'll make an assumption you you do digitally process your images in PhotoShop, Aperture, Lightroom, etc. My best recommendation is to ensure you shoot in camera raw which gives you essentially unlimited ability to adjust color, etc. per your desires. And there's already an enormous amount of color out there.

One of the challenges of shooting in the desert is that have deep blue skies but not often nice white puffy clouds. You can't do much about that, but think about that when you're setting up your shots.

Others may have differing opinions, but that's my opinion. Also, check out Photographing the American Southwest as a guide to locations and technique.

Have fun.

Torrey, Utah
Destination Expert
for Torrey, Capitol Reef National Park
Level Contributor
1,505 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: camera filters

I almost always use a polarizing filter (something Photoshop can't do very well). I like the deepening of the sky and rock colours and find that on the more glaring rock faces I get better results. Don't use it on a wide angle lens though, I spoiled a bunch of sunrise pictures in Cathedral Valley using one on my Canon 10-22mm, the sky tends to be dark in one area. Good idea to take a bunch of practice shots at different angles to the sun to see what the effects are with your setup. Remember that you can also vary the degree of polarization, practice that too before time.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
19,370 posts
426 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: camera filters

Great point on polarizer with wide sky shots Bob! It's super easy to get carried away in the desert with a polarizer. The deep blue sky looks great in the viewfinder, but when you look at the image back home there may be tons of inconsistencies that you just can't spot in the field.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,852 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: camera filters

agreed-- occassionally a polarizer, but... generally not needed. Just watch the angle of the sun and take your shots NOT in the middle of the day. Not that a polarizer helps with midday anyways :) Follow the basic rules and you're usually good. Also shoot with Canon.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
16,002 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: camera filters

Just in case you are wondering, the three people who have responded are excellent photographers. Their photos are amazing, so they know what they are talking about.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,852 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: camera filters

well, thank you Kbec! I appreciate that compliment. Mr WIngs far outshines me, but has taught me a thing or two :)

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
16,002 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: camera filters

Well, I like your photos wings :-)

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
19,370 posts
426 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: camera filters

Wow, thanks!

On the subject of polarizers, I did successfully stack a couple of them with an ND filter to give me enough blockage to help with my eclipse photos Sunday! Next eclipse I'll get one of those fancy solar filters.

Here's a few sample shots - all in Arches - all without any filters.

www.flickr.com/photos/tkellyphoto/7004876132/

www.flickr.com/photos/tkellyphoto/5989981073/

www.flickr.com/photos/tkellyphoto/7225075968/

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
163 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: camera filters

Thank-you so much for everyone's info. I appreciate all the help. I didn't know about not using a polarizing filter on a wide angle. I used one on my 10-22mm up in Tuolumne Meadows in Yosemite and ended up with some clumpy blue areas. So I guess using one on a 17-40mm is out also. How about on a 24-105mm. I have both a circular polarizing filter and a graduate ND.

Tubbleweeds, your photos are outstanding. Pictures like yours is what motivates me. I really like "clouds over courthouse". Like I said I am still quite the novice in this. I am still trying to figure my 7d completely out. Sometimes it makes my head spin. I haven't purchase any photoshop programs yet, something else I have to research.

And Wings, I got a chuckle when you said follow the basic rules which I didn't know till today from you all. Thanks again everyone, can't wait, we will be in Utah in 12 days:)

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,683 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: camera filters

Surf7 - You can learn a lot from these folks; they take great shots and know a lot....and are more than willing to share info, which is the best part of all.

I was lucky enough to spend a few days with Wings and MrWIngs (and about 20 other great people!) in southern UT last fall, including hiking to the Wave. It was a great time getting to compare notes and shoot these wonderful landscapes with these wings and Mrwings.

As for Photoshop, I've been using Photoshop Elements for several years and really like it (I'm currently using version 9, but I have version 10 sitting on my desk...just thinking about buying a new laptop first). Great program, lots of functionality and east to use. The organizer is a great feature. I bought it originally to help me make better panoramic shots and the stitchingmerging features are truly amazing.