We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to eat /winter trip Zion-Bryce-Torrey

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
129 reviews
Save Topic
Where to eat /winter trip Zion-Bryce-Torrey

Hi there,

We're travelling from Vegas to Telluride late Dec/early Jan 2013. The plan is to go via Zion,Bryce Capitol Reef/ UT 12/Moab or Grand Junction, depending on weather. In fact the whole thing depends on weather - we figure we can stick to the interstate if the weather closes in. We won't be self catering (at dinner) so need somewhere to eat wherever we go - preferably not fast food. We have five days for the trip and are travelling in a 4wd.

I'm wondering whether we should stay at St George over Springdale (ie bigger town, less closed) ?; Bryce I think we have no choice but to stay there and probs eat at Ruby's; Torrey- what do you think would be open?; Moab - were here a couple of years ago at same time and found enough for us.Other than Moab, not familiar at all with towns/area.

Can you tell me also whether the road from Moab to Telluride via La Sal/Bedrock/Norwood would be a viable winter option, assuming the weather is clear? Otherwise, we'll just head thru Grand Junction.

Thanks as always.

Mentioned in this post
New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Moab
Level Contributor
3,447 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to eat /winter trip Zion-Bryce-Torrey

Springdale will still have enough options in winter. Can't think off the top of my head what they were but we spent 3 nights there at Christmas a couple of years ago and ate somewhere different each time.

Torrey is a bit more restrictive but there's still options. Either in Torrey itself or nearby Bicknell.

All things being well weatherwise the route through Norwood will be fine and it's generally a nicer drive than through Grand Junction.

Mentioned in this post
Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
19,947 posts
443 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to eat /winter trip Zion-Bryce-Torrey

As noted, you should have no problem finding something even though some of the more marquee restaurants may not be open. Moab never closes. The route to Telluride is just fine in the winter, we drove it last December. Beautiful drive.

Have fun.

Mentioned in this post
Moab
Moab
Utah
Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
Level Contributor
6,984 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to eat /winter trip Zion-Bryce-Torrey

All three destinations, Springdale, Bryce Canyon City, Torrey, all have restaurants/accomodations that are seasonal and will be closed in the Winter. The least restrictive of the three in my opinion will be Springdale. However you should have no problem finding a place to eat.

At Bryce, I felt that making a reservation at the 'Cowboys Steak Room' attached to Ruby's Inn would be something I would have to do in the future.The Canyon diner I believe is open also, but with limited hours.

Mentioned in this post
Torrey, Utah
Destination Expert
for Torrey, Capitol Reef National Park
Level Contributor
1,595 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to eat /winter trip Zion-Bryce-Torrey

In Torrey last year only Red Rock Pizza and The Patio (mostly pizza) stayed open all winter, I expect that it will be the same this winter. The Sunglow diner in Bicknell offers a wider range of 'family' dining, 7 miles west of Torrey on UT24. The Days Inn motel is normally open all winter.

Mentioned in this post
5. Re: Where to eat /winter trip Zion-Bryce-Torrey

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2013, 10:16