We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to southern Utah, linger in Las Vegas??

Merida, Yucatan
Level Contributor
1,733 posts
135 reviews
Save Topic
Going to southern Utah, linger in Las Vegas??

I posted a couple of weeks ago about itinerary help for 12 days in Zion/Bryce/Page next summer. United Airlines give me by far the best price & connection time flying into LAS.

Las Vegas seems to be the opposite of what we are looking for - natural beauty, relaxation, etc. I suspect there are TA members who also fly into LAS for similar trips who might feel the same. My doubt is whether it is worth spending a day (or two)in the city, or just heading straight out.

I would be interested to hear from anyone who has faced this doubt in the course of their planning.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
60,142 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going to southern Utah, linger in Las Vegas??

Personally I have little use for LV. It's an exciting city and has lots to offer. Just not my style. I go on occasion for concerts.

Many travelers who plan trips like yours allow time there thinking that they can relax after or prior to flight dates. Most of them end up reporting that they wished they had not done so. LV is anything but relaxing. That's why you're going to the parks.

On the other hand, if you crave some high energy, noise and excitement, within throngs of people who are behaving entirely differently than they would at home, give yourself some time for LV. There's nothing else quite like it.

Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
Level Contributor
6,422 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Going to southern Utah, linger in Las Vegas??

I relax when I am in Vegas. I love to try a different restaurant out of the hundreds there are to offer. Also there are some shows that are still on my list to see. Usually I am spending a couple of days in Vegas in the middle of seeing the parks though. When I was in Utah the past couple of times, it was time to explore.I have never relaxed when visiting the parks, except for my morning cup of coffee.

In your case, unless there is something you are wanting to see/experience in Vegas, I would just head straight out.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,926 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Going to southern Utah, linger in Las Vegas??

Las Vegas is more than the strip. But that is what most people go for. It is worth seeing and experiencing at least once. Definitely a disconnect between it and the parks.

But it is also very easy to get a car and get out of town without ever looking back.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,924 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Going to southern Utah, linger in Las Vegas??

If you have never seen Las Vegas, yes you should spend some time and look around.The best time to see Vegas is at night, all lit up.Its like nothing you have ever seen before.

Merida, Yucatan
Level Contributor
1,733 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Going to southern Utah, linger in Las Vegas??

I think we will take a drive down the Strip to see the lights, get out for a short stroll (if parking in the area is easy to find) and leave it at that.

Many thanks for the posts.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
2,337 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Going to southern Utah, linger in Las Vegas??

Redrox definitely gave you a good description on Las Vegas. The Strip, anyway. My hubby and I go there to people watch sometimes, but we never stay very long. It's certainly worth driving down the Strip just to see it. Although depending on the time you go you may spend more time stuck in traffic than actually driving.

Torrey, Utah
Destination Expert
for Torrey, Capitol Reef National Park
Level Contributor
1,423 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Going to southern Utah, linger in Las Vegas??

One day (or preferably night) in LV each year is enough for me, but i do enjoy a night there, everything is so overdone and glittery. I especially like the Venetian Hotel, watching the sun set in the square is amazing. The Bellagio often has good museum exhibits and the fountains are amazing. Even as somebody who lives in the middle of nowhere and normally hates crowds I would spend one evening there.

utah
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Going to southern Utah, linger in Las Vegas??

There is something about spending a day in Las Vegas first and then hitting the national parks. The contrast makes the relaxation, beauty, etc. all that much sweeter.

9. Re: Going to southern Utah, linger in Las Vegas??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2013, 10:17