We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yet another itinerary for review

California
Level Contributor
646 posts
96 reviews
Save Topic
Yet another itinerary for review

I've been mostly lurking here and have been reading various posts asking for input about their itineraries. It finally dawned on me that, gee, maybe I should ask too. We're leaving the end of this month.

Day 1. Arrive late in Las Vegas. Stay in Las Vegas.

Day 2. Get groceries and get out of Vegas. Visit Valley of Fire State Park. Drive up to Cedar City and stay there for the night.

Day 3. Drive to and spend the night at Bryce.

Day 4. Drive to Torrey. Probably visit Capitol Reef today. If not today, tomorrow.

Day 5. Visit Goblin Valley State Park and drive to and stay at Moab. Maybe have some time to spend at Arches.

Day 6. Arches (We spent a couple days here the end of November 2011 so while more time would be great, I can live with just one day here.)

Day 7. Canyonlands - Island in the Sky

I'd also like to drive along highway 128 some time while we're in Moab.

Original plan was to spend more time in Arches and then take the Interstate back towards Las Vegas - maybe visiting Kolob Canyon section of Zion, but BF really really wants to see Monument Valley - even though he has some shoulder issues and wouldn't be able to take the tour of Monument Valley nor go to Antelope Canyon while traveling through Page. But then we probably wouldn't have time for Antelope Canyon anyway.

Day 8. Drive to and spend the night at Monument Valley via Moqui Dugway and Goosenecks State Park.

Day 9. Drive to and stay at Zion. Stop at Horseshoe Canyon on the way.

Day 10. Drive to Las Vegas and fly home.

We were at Zion last January so while more time would be nice - one night would be bearable.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,635 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yet another itinerary for review

Your plan looks pretty good. Perhaps more driving and too many destinations for the time that you have, but since you have visited a couple of places already then I think the plan is more doable.

Curious as to why your BF's shoulder issue would make the tour of MV and Antelope Canyon not possible (only thing I can figure is that the bouncing around in the vehicle on teh MV tour would be an issue).

California
Level Contributor
646 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yet another itinerary for review

Yes, it's the bouncing. He had rotator cuff surgery a while back and bouncing in a vehicle really aggravates it.

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,635 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yet another itinerary for review

Well then the tour at Monument Valley would be a bad idea. The ride out to Antelope Canyon is not nearly as bad, but can be rough in spots. Thanks for the clarification.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,699 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yet another itinerary for review

I like it. And you don't need to take the tour of Monument Valley to enjoy the view.

You might have time to stop at the Kolob Fingers section of Zion between Valley of Fire and Cedar. It would depend on how much time you spend of VOF. You'll want at least an hour for Kolob. But it is nice in the evening with the light on the fingers.

Are you going to visit Cedar Breaks on the way to Bryce? You can head up hwy 14 , drive through Cedar Breaks and then keep driving to 89 on 143.

Day 7 you should have time for hwy 128 after Canyonlands. (especially if you don't go to Upheaval dome- which I personally think isn't worth the time).

Obviously not much time for Zions. But a nice place to end the trip.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yet another itinerary for review

Suggest to buy groceries in Mesquite or St. George. Driving in Las Vegas always adds a lot of time imo. Even Overton near Vof has a small but well stocked supermarket.

California
Level Contributor
646 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Yet another itinerary for review

Thanks for the suggestions. I had thought about visiting Kolob Canyons after Valley of Fire but don't know that we'd have time - we tend to be slow travelers. Grocery shopping in Mesquite or St. George would probably save time. I had planned on stopping at Trader Joe's in Las Vegas but might be able to just go to a regular grocery store elsewhere.

I think Cedar Breaks is closed in winter - was planning on saving that for a summer trip.

Tjamls again!

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Yet another itinerary for review

I do think you'll have the time for both VoF and Kolob same day. From Las Vegas there''s a scenic route via Lake Mead Blv and North Shore rd more or less along Lake Mead to VoF. Red Rocks and Lake views.

8. Re: Yet another itinerary for review

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 January 2014, 07:17