We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather/road conditions in April

Pickens, South...
Level Contributor
104 posts
Save Topic
Weather/road conditions in April

We are planning a trip to southern Utah April 15-27 (Moab, Capitol Reef, Bryce, Page, Monument Valley, back to Moab). Do I need to worry about snow at higher elevations? What about hiking in these areas -- is it too early in the season? We visited this area in late June before and are trying to avoid the heat (dry or otherwise!) but I don't want to run into a problem with being too early either.

Torrey, Utah
Destination Expert
for Torrey, Capitol Reef National Park
Level Contributor
1,322 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather/road conditions in April

It is possible to run into snow in April at any of the higher locations, but it's unlikely to cause a major delay. Bryce may still have some closed and/or very muddy hikes at that time, Capitol Reef is normally OK unless there is actually a storm in progress. No problems anywhere else I would think. There is no way to actually answer your question since it depends on the weather at that particular time, could be gorgeous, could be snowing.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
16,898 posts
388 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather/road conditions in April

Good advice from local expert Killer Bob. As noted, higher elevation areas are only places to expect any potential problems. Lower elevation spots like Moab, MV, etc. should be fine ... but you never know.

Pickens, South...
Level Contributor
104 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather/road conditions in April

Thanks for the replies. A little snow would be an adventure for us (we're from the South) but muddy trails are no fun. We'll keep our fingers crossed for good weather!

Romsey
Level Contributor
358 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather/road conditions in April

Hi Bob, and any other local experts,

A vaguely similar question.

We're driving the California/Arizona/Utah area next month (March) & struggling to find info on driving conditions for Canyonlands, Monument Valley, Bryce Canyon, Zion Nat Park for that time of year.

Ideally driving from Sedona or Grand Canyon (south rim) & ending up at Vegas ahead of 20th March flight back to the UK.

No accomodation booked other than the first couple of nights in Vegas, so we can change plans as we go - even reverse our entire vacation itinerary & go there from Vegas on 2nd March, though guessing that would increase the risk of snow / road closures.

Appreciated that luck comes into it, but any chance you could advise on the likelihood of weather-related problems?

Any advice on basic routing (eg the 89 vs the I-70)?

And a suggested source of up-to-the-minute info before we hit the road?

Or if it's definately a no-no, hit us with it - we can take it. We can spend time elsewhere & bookmark Utah for a more sensible time-of-year.

BTW our idea of hiking is from parking lot to coffee-shop LOL.

Apologies for all the questions

And to tuesdaygirl for hijacking the thread, new to TripAdvisor forums & not sure of the etiquette.

Thanks for any info

Chris

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,593 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather/road conditions in April

Hey ChrisfromRomsey. ( is that England? Love the large Norman church ther. We stopped to look because I think I have family from there back in the 1600s. ). Anyway. For a new question it is better to start your own thread.

A quick answer to your question is that the roads should be fine unless you are here when there is a storm. And then it would depend on where the storm hit. Bryce being higher is the most likely to get snow.

Romsey
Level Contributor
358 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather/road conditions in April

Hi Kbecjeans.,

Yep - It's Romsey Abbey & it's just down the road from me.

Appreciate the heads-up about Bryce canyon being the more-likely candidate for snow, & I'll post as a fresh question

Many thanks

Chris

7. Re: Weather/road conditions in April

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 February 2014, 05:17