We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zion via Highway 50 ?

La Honda, California
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Zion via Highway 50 ?

We're departing Berkeley, CA heading for Boulder, CO last week of March. Planned to take Highway 50 east to Ely, then go south on 93 to 319 and on over to Zion for some nice hiking. Google Maps wants us to go another route (95, 6, 93...), but we were looking forward to taking Highway 50. Would love some perspective on both routes.

Thanks so much!

Torrey, Utah
Destination Expert
for Torrey, Capitol Reef National Park
Level Contributor
1,459 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Zion via Highway 50 ?

Why are you letting a computer tell you what route to take?

I've crossed Nevada on US50 over 100 times and I still enjoy it, in fact I enjoy it more now that I know all the little things to look for. It's about detail, many of basins and ranges look similar but they each have some small detail that makes them different, you have to find it! The towns of Austin, Eureka and Ely are all interesting too, be very careful of your speed in Eureka!

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
19,216 posts
426 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Zion via Highway 50 ?

Nothing wrong with the US50 route. The other route Google is telling you is slightly faster and similar terrain. Good or bad, that route takes you via Las Vegas. We've traveled all those roads many times. It's wonderful driving through the deserts of Nevada. The US50 route is particularly fascinating.

If you're using Google Maps, you probably know that all of those routes are two to three hours longer than just going down the I-5 to I-15. But all of them are infinitely more interesting. As Killer Bob suggested, just take the route you want.

Have fun.

La Honda, California
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Zion via Highway 50 ?

Thanks, that's what I wanted to know ... the terrain is similar and interesting either way? No advantage to either route?

Molly

La Honda, California
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Zion via Highway 50 ?

Thanks, Bob for the speed warning! If need be, is there a decent motel along the route? A friend told us a pretty funny story about staying at the Pony Express Inn in Austin .... don't think we'll be stopping there! :)

Torrey, Utah
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,459 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Zion via Highway 50 ?

I've been hearing that the motels in Austin have improved a lot in the last few years but I haven't stayed there for years. Eureka has a nice Best Western but I haven't stayed there either 8-)

I usually stay in Ely on the way west, many times at the Bristlecone but lately at the La Quinta because I have a dog now. I normally get to Ely late enough that I don't eat there so I really can't recommend a restaurant, but I have been hearing good things about Margerita's which is north out of town on 93.

Don't know how familiar you are with this site but if you click on Ely Nevada you will be given links to lists of all the hotels and restaurants in Ely with their reviews, and the surprising number of things to do in Ely. (Just don't stay out too late, some friends who were due in Torrey at 10am partied until 5am the night before in Ely, they were late)

Along 50 Austin is probably my favourite town, there's a good traditional greasy breakfast place at the east end and the court house has lots of pictures of olden days. .The court house also has clean rest rooms that are open to the public, just go straight in the front door and look left at the other end of the corridor, maybe the Ladies room is on the right...

Edited: 17 March 2013, 15:15
Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Zion via Highway 50 ?

Here's another fan of the us50 drive. We also stayed at the good La Quinta in Ely and had dinner at La Fiesta Mexican restaurant on walking distance from La Quinta. La Quinta also is next to a supermarket with a deli.

La Honda, California
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Zion via Highway 50 ?

Thanks, Bob. We did the mileage, and realized we better sleep in Fallon because we won't be leaving Berkeley, CA until 6 PM. That should be fine because we will have a long day ahead of us to make it all the way to Zion. Maybe we will make it to the greasy spoon in Austin for breakfast, as we head on east.

La Honda, California
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Zion via Highway 50 ?

Great, we can aim for the Meixcan place for lunch, the timing should be about right. Thanks for the tip.

Torrey, Utah
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,459 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Zion via Highway 50 ?

I have a place I always stay in Fallon too but I can't recommend it. I only stay there because I like to say hello to the owners who for some reason always remember me, probably because of the number of times I've arrived by motorcycle during a snow storm...

(The last time I rode westbound across 50 it was 12F when I left Delta and all the way up to 28F when I got to Fallon, that was a cold day!)

La Honda, California
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Zion via Highway 50 ?

Brave man! (or is that crazy guy?)