We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family coming to Utah in December for skiing - suggestions?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
162 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Family coming to Utah in December for skiing - suggestions?

Hello

We are arriving on 6 December from Australia for a weeks skiing. The travel agent has recommended Deer Valley as it's family friendly and we are no way professional skiiers. My kids aged 9 and 6 have never been skiing. Is Deer Valley our best bet or is there somewhere else we should be looking? I have friends going to Alta but that didn't look as family friendly??

We don't want somewhere too expensive but close to the action and ski in/out.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I have no idea where to start.

Many thanks in advance.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
16,874 posts
388 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family coming to Utah in December for skiing - suggestions?

Deer Valley will be fine. Do note that you are VERY early in the season so wherever you go you will not likely find full operation. But all things considered, DV is your best bet for the most reliable conditions early season. DV's location in Park City also provides you with the most infrastructure in terms of restaurants and other things to do, so it will be great for the family overall.

Alta is actually fine, too, but with less outside activities.

At Deer Valley, look at places like The Lodges, Black Diamond (right on the beginner hill), etc. You can also stay in downtown Park CIty (Marriott Summit Watch) and have walking access to hundreds of restaurants and shops and just a five minute shuttle bus ride to Deer Valley. You also do not need a car in Park City so you can shuttle the 40 minutes from SLC.

Have fun.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
162 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family coming to Utah in December for skiing - suggestions?

Thanks for the help. I'll look into the accommodation.

Does Deer Valley cater well for children?

Little Rock
Level Contributor
2,356 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family coming to Utah in December for skiing - suggestions?

DV is very upscale, so I would be certain their Children's program is good.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deer_Valley

onthesnow.com/utah/…reviews.html

deervalley.com/WhatToDo/SkiSchool/ChildrensG…

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
16,874 posts
388 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family coming to Utah in December for skiing - suggestions?

Deer Valley will be very good for the children. No worries.

Salt Lake City, UT
Level Contributor
908 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family coming to Utah in December for skiing - suggestions?

You'd have to define better what you mean by "family friendly" and "caters to children". Early December is quite early in the season. The Cottonwood Canyons resorts (Brighton, Solitude, Alta and Snowbird) on average receive roughly 50% more snowfall that the Park City area resorts, so base depth is basically guaranteed to be higher in the Cottonwoods.

Deer Valley is a great place to ski, but it is painfully expensive. For many of the clientele, price is no object, but you do indicate that you are on a budget. They even charge $21 for lift tickets for 3 year olds! We've stumbled on passes, and have taken our kids a couple of times. Ski school would have been close to $200 per day...ouch. In contrast, kids ski free at Brighton up to and including age 7.

In general, though, there will be far fewer ski in / ski out options in the Cottonwoods.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
162 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family coming to Utah in December for skiing - suggestions?

Wow, your information is great. I was a bit worried about price. Which resort would you suggest? Our kids are 8 and 6 and we are no way experienced skiers. Deer Valley did look expensive. We are committed to Utah as we fly direct into SLC from brisbane. We would like a village atmosphere, walk to lifts and eating at night.

Thanks for any advice!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
401 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family coming to Utah in December for skiing - suggestions?

Deer Valley is wonderful if you are looking to be in the ski town atmosphere. Wonderful restaurants, close to Park City, and lots of the rich and famous to rub shoulders with. I do worry of how early in the season it is, there is a chance that the resort won't be operating 100% as it is quite low in elevation.

Budget ski trip idea:

As for us locals, we go to the Cottonwood Canyons mostly. I prefer Brighton as it has the most green and blue runs <http://www.brightonresort.com/>. I do have to warn you, there is not much to do after skiing except sit in your hot tub, it is not a ski town, it is a resort that caters to mostly locals and skiing enthusiasts who go back down the hill at the end of the day and enjoy our own beds. Some people who do this on a budget will stay at a hotel in the valley and drive back and forth, this is popular with out of town college students. One place that's near the mouth of the Cottonwood Canyons is Studio 6: it is an extended stay room with a kitchenette. I've had friends stay here and they seem to think it's a good deal. motel6.com/reservations/motel_detail.aspx…

But If you are looking for a ski town atmosphere, by all means go to Park City or Deer Valley, that's where the ski town atmosphere is found. And a darn good one too.

8. Re: Family coming to Utah in December for skiing - suggestions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 April 2014, 05:15