We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marmots? Capitol Reef Area?

Ann Arbor, MI
Destination Expert
for Michigan, Ann Arbor
Level Contributor
2,155 posts
176 reviews
Save Topic
Marmots? Capitol Reef Area?

We've anchored our travel route, lodging, and major activities for our 3 week trip around the SW for this July. It is a pretty standard route with a little tinkering to add some places our family wants to see:

LV, Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, Durango, Santa Fe, Moab, Torrey, Bryce Canyon, Kanab, Zion, LV

Just heard from teen daughter that she'd like to see some Marmots and hear them whistle. We aren't going to do any high alpine scrambling so I'm wondering if there's somewhere on our route (maybe western highland areas of Capitol Reef?) where we could go looking for a group of them in more accessible areas?

Thanks!

Torrey, Utah
Destination Expert
for Torrey, Capitol Reef National Park
Level Contributor
1,413 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marmots? Capitol Reef Area?

I see marmots on Thousand Lake Mountain and Boulder Mountain to the west of Capitol Reef all the time but usually up higher than the park. I've never heard them whistle though.

Ann Arbor, MI
Destination Expert
for Michigan, Ann Arbor
Level Contributor
2,155 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Marmots? Capitol Reef Area?

How accessible is it where you see them? Rental car and flatlander tourist territory?

And you do have 3 months to teach them to whistle! Simple tune is OK, show tunes not necessary.

Torrey, Utah
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,413 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Marmots? Capitol Reef Area?

Not accessible to a rental car I'm afraid, your best bet from a paved road would be on highway 12 over Boulder Mountain which is an amazing drive even if you don't find any marmots. Best place to find them is near culverts and cattle guards, they use them for cover. If you see one and it hides stop (safely) and wait a few minutes, they are very curious and will often re-appear to see what you are doing.

I'll get started on the training.

Ann Arbor, MI
Destination Expert
for Michigan, Ann Arbor
Level Contributor
2,155 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Marmots? Capitol Reef Area?

Ok, we'll be the ones on highway 12, late July, with our heads in culverts whistling Dixie. Please bail us out of jail if you read about us in the local paper.

Thanks for giving us a place to look for the little dudes though. Daughter loves wildlife sightings a lot.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,906 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Marmots? Capitol Reef Area?

If you have time there is a short hike to a small waterfall at SingleTree Campground that would get you off the road and more of a chance to see something. It isn't an outstanding part of the drive through, but it would give you time to enjoy the mountain.

I also have never heard them whistle. Not that I have seen many.

Ann Arbor, MI
Destination Expert
for Michigan, Ann Arbor
Level Contributor
2,155 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Marmots? Capitol Reef Area?

Thanks--I've got that waterfall hike marked on our map so if we have enough time it'll make a nice walk.

Well, since no one has heard a marmot whistle, I thought I'd better check the girl's information out and yes, they do a whistley chirp sound, but surely when Killer Bob is done with the lessons they can do better than this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Foguf0KfXHQ

Torrey, Utah
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,413 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Marmots? Capitol Reef Area?

And as I always do I'll disagree with Kbec - the part of UT12 over Boulder Mountain is Outstanding! Especially in contrast to the open sandstone parts to the south. 8-)

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,906 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Marmots? Capitol Reef Area?

No, no Bob,,, I didn't say the drive wasn't outstanding... I meant the hike to the falls. It is not one of the outstanding must do things.... Didn't mean the drive at all...

And since when do we disagree? :-)

Torrey, Utah
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,413 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Marmots? Capitol Reef Area?

Oh, well, OK then 8-). I thought we had discussed the forested part of 12 before.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,906 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Marmots? Capitol Reef Area?

Well that must have been before the last time I drove it and refreshed my memory. It is a beautiful drive. I'm contemplating taking it tomorrow rather than coming in to Escalante from the south.