We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Utah 12

New Jersey
Level Contributor
54 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Utah 12

Hi everyone. What is the best way to do rt 12. East to west or west to east. I read somewhere that it depends on what time of the day you do it ( you know, because of the sun). But I can't remember. Thanks in advance

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
4,667 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Utah 12

Me personally, I like the drive from east to west. Starting in Torrey and ending at Bryce. The cliffs closer to the western side are brilliant around sunset. Build in some extra time for your drive because you might end up stopping several times for pictures. Others may offer differing opinions and points to consider. Don't really think that you can go wrong.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
54 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Utah 12

Thanks for the info. I will do it east to west. Thanks again

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
4,667 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Utah 12

Don't bypass Capitol Reef either. I've heard of people doing Route 12, that don't drive 10 minutes the opposite way to the National Park.

Santa Ana, CA
Level Contributor
3,251 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Utah 12

Because I live out west I usually start in the west and drive east. At the end of the trip I turn around and go back. I couldn't tell any difference which way is better.

Here's the official website: http://www.scenicbyway12.com

New Jersey
Level Contributor
54 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Utah 12

Thank you guys for the info

Torrey, Utah
Destination Expert
for Torrey, Capitol Reef National Park
Level Contributor
1,423 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Utah 12

It's true that the cliffs at the Bryce end are magnificent at sunset, but if you are at the Torrey end early in the morning the sun is in your eyes as you look out over Capitol Reef and the Henry Mountains. I prefer to do it west to east though I think of that as south to north since that's the way most of the road goes. I like to eat the big end of the egg first too.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
54 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Utah 12

Killer_bob. So you are saying do it west to east and start in the morning

Torrey, Utah
Destination Expert
for Torrey, Capitol Reef National Park
Level Contributor
1,423 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Utah 12

I don't think it makes much difference unless you are going to be at the northern end when the sun is low.

Here's a picture of the Henry's at sunset from Highway 12 on Boulder Mountain.

www.flickr.com/photos/bobpalin/2305463411/

New Jersey
Level Contributor
54 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Utah 12

Beautiful. I can't wait to go there. Thanks for everything Bob

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Utah 12

Our preferred time is all day but we also did it Bryce to Torrey in the afternoon and the afternoon views are just awesome on Capitol reef and we prefer to drive Torrey to Bryce in the morning if we don't have all day. It has to do with the sun indeed.