We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning a light weight trip

U.S
Level Contributor
264 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Planning a light weight trip

Hello All - I had earlier tried to plan a trip to Utah several months back but couldn't due to various circumstances, I had like to start planning again. There has been one change in my personal situation. My wife and I are expecting a baby and I am planning a trip in September. My wife would be 5 months pregnant by then. I know there are several great hikes etc. but I don't think she can do anything strenuous during that time. Is it advisable to do a Utah trip given the present circumstance? We love road trips and I think as long as it's not too strenuous she can manage but really like some guidance from forum members. We would be traveling from North East and I am thinking of a week for the trip.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
56,957 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning a light weight trip

You don't need to hike great distances or strenuous elevations to get the most out of southern Utah and the parks there.

U.S
Level Contributor
264 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning a light weight trip

Thanks Redrox. Any specific recommendations for a week long trip? I would assume I cannot do both the East and the West and need to choose between them.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
4,134 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning a light weight trip

You could fly into Salt Lake and drive to the Moab area for a few days. There are several short hikes like Double Arch, The Windows, Sand Dune Arch, Park Ave, Balanced Rock, etc that are all less than 1/2 a mile one way. You could also spend a day in Canyonlands and Dead Horse Point. There are scenic drives along the Colorado River with some short hikes as well. You could also spend a day in the Needles District of Canyonlands, which is further to access from Moab than the Island in the Sky area.

From here you could check out Monument Valley for a day and then drive up to Capitol Reef National Park and the gateway town of Torrey, Utah. Then maybe head back towards Salt Lake and spend a couple of nights Little Cottonwood Canyon or Park City to enjoy some of the splendid fall colors that might start changing by mid-September.

Or check out Zion and Bryce and throw in Capitol Reef before driving back to Salt Lake. I think you need to look at the options in Zion/Bryce or Arches/Canyonlands and see which appeals to you more and then throw in Capitol Reef with either, as it is in between. There are several short hikes in any location. And I would recommend leaving a day in Salt Lake or Park City to view the fall colors if you are planning a trip from mid to late September. The Alpine Loop and Guardsmen Pass are quite amazing that time of year.

Check with your doctor about any conditions that may apply to pregnant women with high elevations from 6,000- 10,000 feet above seas level. Also consider, driving to some of these areas will put you a couple of hours away from any medical facilities until you arrive at the destination and in some cases, those medical facilities will be bare boned. I don't know enough about pregnancy to know if this is a concern or not, but thought I would at least let you know. Figure out which area you would like to visit and people can help fill in the gaps and give better details of what to see and do and eat, etc.

Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
Level Contributor
6,250 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning a light weight trip

Are we talking about seven days/six nights exactly. If you are committed to short easy hikes, I think it is possible to see the five Utyah NP's in a week. A couple of nights in Zion, a night at Bryce, a night at Torrey, and a couple more at Moab. While you can fit in some of the short hikes, the car tour aspect of such a vacation would be restful. If you do choose east Versus West, there is so much to fit in with the coinciding parks. With the naturally pairing Bryce and Zion parks, you could easily add on a visit to Page/Glen Canyon/Lake Powell, and the North Rim of GC. You could also add on some sight seeing in places like Kolob Canyons, Cedar Breaks, Panguitch Lake/SR143, and Red canyon, and obvoiusly Capitol Reef as Shake suggested. Lots of options, you just have to decide. Also look for the travel article by Ohiohick and the top questions all found on the Utah main forum page

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,757 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning a light weight trip

I see no reason not to do many of the shorter hikes as long as the pregnancy is going well and your wife has been physically active up to that point.

The list of options for seeing the parks of Southern Utah posted on the "Top Questions" top right hand side would be a good place to start for some ideas of what you could accomplish. There are maps included and possible activities.

6. Re: Planning a light weight trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 July 2014, 06:21