We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Bryce, Zion, Canyonlands and Arches/Moab in 8 days

Ellensburg
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting Bryce, Zion, Canyonlands and Arches/Moab in 8 days

In mid-October, I'm flying Seattle to Las Vegas, renting car and want to visit all of the above, ending in Moab where I will drive to Grand Junction and flying back to Seattle from there. I realize this is not a lot of time, but want to see at least the highlights. I would great appreciate suggestions of things to see/avoid, places to stay, etc. Thank you.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
17,487 posts
403 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Bryce, Zion, Canyonlands and Arches/Moab in 8 days

You should first check to see the cost on dropping a Vegas car in GJT. Likely going to be very expensive. All in all, might be cheaper and shorter travel time overall if you went R/T into SLC.

In any case, eight days is short but to-able. Try do to 2-3 nights in Zion, 1 night in Bryce, a Torrey overnight to breakup the trip to Moab and allow you to absorb the route 12 drive, then 2-3 mights Moab.

Have fun.

Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
Level Contributor
6,171 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Bryce, Zion, Canyonlands and Arches/Moab in 8 days

For Zion, it is recommended to stay in Springdale. m There are many great hotels, including Desert Pearl, Cable Mountain, Majestic, Cliffrose, Driftwood, etc.>> www.zionpark.com

At Bryce, the in park lodge is convenient to the rim>> www.brycecanyonforever.com Also, outside of the park in Brycew canyon city is a couple of Best Westerns, Rubys Inn and www.brycecanyongrand.com

In Moab, there is also infinite possibilities. We have enjoyed AArchway and BW Canyonlands>> www.discovermoab.com

Ellensburg
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Bryce, Zion, Canyonlands and Arches/Moab in 8 days

Turns out that it is okay to pick up in Las Vegas and Return in Grand Junction!

I will take your advice and stay in Springdale. Get there about six one evening and spend all the next day and half the following day in Zion, then a drive to Bryce. So, third and fourth nights in Bryce and then the problem. Four more nights and I want to hit Capitol Reef, Canyonlands, Arches and Moab. Where to stay the fifth and sixth nights is a problem. And the route to take--wanting to hit the four above, what is the best route to take? And is Monument Valley along the way or is it too far?

Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
Level Contributor
6,171 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Bryce, Zion, Canyonlands and Arches/Moab in 8 days

A normal routine with the remaining days you have available, and your desire to see some of Capitol Reef, is to stay in Torrey.From bryce, follow the popular www.scenicbyway12.com via Escalante to Torrey. Lots of choices in Torrey including the popular Austins Chuckwagon, BW Capitol Reef, Rim Rock, Red sands, Days Inn.>> http://www.capitolreef.org/torrey.html

From Torrey, the normal route then becomes SR24 to I-70 to US191 and into Moab for your last three nights.

From Moab, a day trip to Monument Valley is possible via US191 and US163, and the more scenic detour of SR261 to SR 95 and back on US191 on the return.

Your other option from Torrey is to travel SR 24 to SR95 at Hanksville, and then down to Mexican hat. This route can take all day as well, and is somewhat dependant on if you can secure lodging near Monument Valley. On the route between Torrey and Monument Valley, look for landmarks like Moki Dugway, Goosenecks, and maybe Natural Bridges. The places to stay at MV to look for will be the View in the park, and Gouldings Lodge just outside of the park. These two places are heavily booked so might be unavailable. Nearby alternatives(but less notable) can be found in Kayenta and Mexican Hat. Following this second route can and will give you ample time to do the recommended back country tour in Monument valley before heading to Moab for your last two nights.. Also realize that following this route will rob much needed time from your visit to Arches and Canyonlands. Even if you head out from Monument valley early after spending a night there, the route from MV to Moab can also take all day, with the abundance of spots you can visit along the way.

Also, when in Moab, devote the bulk of your time to visiting Arches. Canyonlands IITS is a park most often visited via the scenic drive and several overlooks.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
4,043 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Bryce, Zion, Canyonlands and Arches/Moab in 8 days

Monument Valley would take you pretty far out of the way. It's almost three hours, one way, from Moab. Agreeed to take Scenic Byway 12 from Bryce to Capitol Reef. Then I would just base the rest of the time in 'Moab. Arches is 5 miles away and Canyonlands is about 30 miles from Moab. Easy day trips. Take highway 128, along the Colorado River corridor, up to I -70 when going back to Grand Junction.

6. Re: Visiting Bryce, Zion, Canyonlands and Arches/Moab in 8 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 July 2014, 07:17