We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family trip next summer

Herefordshire...
Level Contributor
42 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Family trip next summer

I hope this is the right forum as we want to visit several states! There are six of us (two adults, 17, 17, 12 and 9). Youngest is boy, other children are girls but not fashion/shop minded. We are hoping to do a home exchange in LA for a couple of weeks and we also want to spend a while travelling:the whole holiday can be a maximum of 4 weeks. We shall never be able to afford to take them again so we want to do as much as we can even if we don't spend as long as ideal on everything. We want to show our children places we enjoyed when we lived in CA before they were born so are pretty certain about places we really want to visit though additional ideas are very welcome.

We want to take them to Bryce (1 +night), Zion (2 +nights), Grand Canyon (north or south rim - have visited both and can see advantages and disadvantages of both ( 1 + night)). These are fairly straightforward but it gets tricky because we'd also like to go back to Mesa Verde.

I'd appreciate suggestions for routes, places to stay (nice but not too expensive for 6 people) and also whether it would be better to fly from UK to a different airport rather than LAX, hire a minivan and then fly back from LAX. Denver, Phoenix, LV??? We are happy to stay in LV overnight but have no desire to be there any longer (to start with, daughter 1 hates crowded towns).

We looked at an rv but it seems to be a terrifying price even when hotels are taken into account. Also, Mesa Verde plus rv does not appeal!

Many thanks in advance

Mentioned in this post
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
Phoenix
Phoenix
Central Arizona, AZ
Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
455 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family trip next summer

You might also want to post in the Road Trip forum, since you are currently planning on covering several states:

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12567-Road_Tri…

Also, if you have a daughter who hates crowded cities, perhaps you should rethink LA. OF course that probably applies to most any city to which you will fly.

For the Utah part of your tour, start with this:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28965-c177493/Utah:U…

Mentioned in this post
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
Herefordshire...
Level Contributor
42 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family trip next summer

Thank you - will try that forum. I know LA won't thrill my daughter but we aren't planning on doing the main tourist sights but more places we loved when we lived there like Santa Monica mountains.

Mentioned in this post
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
4,978 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family trip next summer

Greetings Claire,

Welcome back out west.

You could start in LA and end in Las Vegas. It would save 3-4 hours, but then you would also want to check drop fees for returning a rental to a different city. I wouldn't base the trip from Denver or Phoenix. Salt Lake or Vegas could be workable, but you'll want to check the rental drop fees again.

With two additional weeks you could see a good base of the area. I know when I was a kid going through Southern Utah I liked climbing on rocks and playing in water and sand dunes more than scenic viewpoints. Of course, you will know what kind of activities your kids will like the best and can make adjustments. Also, depending on the time you go through the area it could be quite hot. You may want to tour through the desert earlier in your trip, if it will be cooler weather. If you're spending two weeks in Los Angeles I might just head to Las Vegas for a night, then a quick tour like...

2 nights in Zion

1 night in Bryce

1 day on Scenic Byway 12 visiting Calf Creek Falls and maybe Willis Creek Slot, then continuing to Torrey.

2 nights in Torrey/Capitol Reef

Stop at Little Wild Horse Canyon and Goblin Valley before continuing to Moab

3-4 nights in Moab where you can go river rafting down the Colorado, mountain biking, zip lines, jeep safari, hiking Arches and viewing Canyonlands and Dead Horse Point.

1 night for Mesa Verde

1 night at Monument Valley

1-2 nights in Page, AZ for rafting, antelope canyon, Horseshoe Bend, or boating day on Lake Powell, etc.

1-2 nights grand canyon

then returning to LV or L.A.

Mentioned in this post
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
Phoenix
Phoenix
Central Arizona, AZ
Little Wild Horse Canyon
Little Wild Horse Canyon
131 Reviews
Utah
Moab
Moab
Utah
Colorado
Colorado
United States
Page
Page
Arizona
4. Re: Family trip next summer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 September 2014, 06:20