We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Utah - Arizona: what to see around Page and Kanab?

Vilvoorde, Belgium
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Utah - Arizona: what to see around Page and Kanab?

The Utah forum or the Arizona forum, such a dilemma... But I ended up here :-)

My boyfriend and I are doing a one month road trip starting and ending in Denver. We have our route pretty much figured out, at least where national parks are concerned. But we're a bit stumped regarding the area around Page and Kanab. First of all, we will be driving a rental SUV, so no real offroading possible. We're in our early thirties and we like to hike, but nothing too "extreme" for me (no wading through mud or steep drops and nothing too strenuous). Also, I'm an avid photographer.

There seem to be a lot of guided tours to inaccessible places, but it can be quite pricey so we can't do too many of those. White Pocket appeals to me a lot (which can be done from Kanab and Page) and Rainbow Bridge via Lake Powell. Antelope seems like a "must" but we're hesitant as we really don't like tourist traps and large crowds. There are so many options of trips and combinations, quite difficult to choose... Any recommendations?

Also, we'd like to hike in places we can reach on our own, as we prefer to hike alone on our own time and not depend on others. Are there places like that, accessible by paved roads or dirt roads in good condition and preferably photogenic/beautiful?

Here is our itinerary for the days in and around Page and Kanab:

Friday September 27th: visit Grand Canyon South (hotel in Williams)

Saturday September 28th: drive from Williams to Page - visit Grand Canyon South

Sunday September 29th: full day in/around Page (to be determined)

Monday September 30th: Page to Grand Canyon North Rim (visit Horseshoe Bend and Grand Canyon North Rim)

Tuesday October 1st: Grand Canyon North Rim to Kanab (visit Grand Canyon North Rim? and/or something else?)

Wednesday October 2nd: full day in/around Kanab (to be determined)

Thursday October 3rd: Kanab to Springdale (visit Coral Pink Sand Dunes +something else?)

We'll be visiting Zion, Bryce, etc. after that.

Any suggestions and pointers are welcome :-)

Vilvoorde, Belgium
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Utah - Arizona: what to see around Page and Kanab?

PS: any scenic drives or overlooks are welcome too :-)

Mesa, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tempe
Level Contributor
2,035 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Utah - Arizona: what to see around Page and Kanab?

Days one and two - you are going to the south rim, driving to Williams, then back to the south rim and on to Page? Why not stay at the canyon (call to see if there are any openings) or Tusayan? Or even Flagstaff or Cameron Trading Post?

9/29 - Tours to Rainbow Bridge will not be available - the monument is currently closed due to flooding. I think the flooding affected Antelope canyon tours, too. I would tour the dam, maybe see Lake Powell museum, do the Hanging Gardens hike. I would definitely do the Horseshoe bend hike this day. You could do the river float trip if it's in your budget.

9/30 Stop at the Lee's Ferry bridge and the overlook up on the plateau on your way to the canyon. Get cookies at Jacob Lake.

10/1 Hike a short ways down into the canyon or aways on the Ken Patrick trail, then drive to Kanab. Could take the short detour to Pipe Springs National Monument.

Enjoy your trip!

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,652 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Utah - Arizona: what to see around Page and Kanab?

These trip reports might give you a few ideas. The first is for Page and the second Kanab.

tripadvisor.com/…14631247

tripadvisor.com/…36756400

One day in Page is pretty short for all that there is to see and do in the area. Antelope Canyon should be a priority, I think. The float trip down the Colorado from Page is also a great activity and provides some great photo ops.

I would look for lodging inside the park at the Grand Canyon south rim; you will waste a lot of time driving back and forth from Williams.

Edited: 16 September 2013, 01:48
Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Utah - Arizona: what to see around Page and Kanab?

Think this trip is for this year. Williams still is a one hours drive from GC. Strongly suggest to stay inside the NP. Not all lodges are that expensive (if you still can get a reservation). You also must realize that the road us89 south of Page is closed but you can take another route now all paved called Coppermine rd aka 89T. North rim will be sold out in october. Don't go there without a reservation. Only one lodge. Very little chance you can get a room on such short notice. From Page it's now a detour via 89T to North rim. Fastest way is from Page to Kanab and then south to GC North rim.

We have stayed in Kanab many times and even make daytrips to Page and also visited The Wave. Close to Kanab you'll find Coral Pink Sanddunes and Pipe Spring NM. Moqui Cave and Best Friends A nimal Society. Also a cute movie set in Kanab at Frontier Movie town (free). Most scenic point of the whole of GCNP is Toroweap imo but you'll need 4wd and its 120 miles on dirtroads. Not recommended.

On the way from Page to NR with the detour stop at Navajo Bridges, Lees Ferry, marble Canyon and House Rockvalley overlook. Between NR and Kanab make a stop at LeFevre Overlook for the grand staircases.

Tet

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,905 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Utah - Arizona: what to see around Page and Kanab?

Even if you can't get lodging in the Grand Canyon look at something in Tusayan which is just outside the park rather than the too far town of Williams.

In Page definitely take the Horseshoe Bend Overlook. See this the day you have for Page rather than the next day when you'll be traveling to North Rim. A tour of the dam could be interesting. I'd recommend Lower Antelope, but not sure tours are being given there with the recent flooding- but check. Either canyon is worth the time even if it is a little crowded- though you will be off the main tourist season.

With the road closure south of Page the best way to North Rim will be the northern route (You'll miss Lee's Ferry). On this you could stop at the Paria toadstools trail about mile marker 18-19? Last time we went past it was not signed, but you could see the parking area right off the road.

While Kanab is a nice town, there is not much there to keep you occupied for a full day unless you will be volunteering at the Best Friends (Call ahead if you want to do that to get on their list), or if you take a tour. Check out Paria Outposts http://www.paria.com/scenic-tours-shuttles/ Hard to do anything on your own without proper vehicle.

Although, one thing I was thinking is something you would do from Page rather than Kanab if you wanted to switch and add a day to Page and leave out the day in Kanab. You could hike into the Wahweap Hoodoos. www.zionnational-park.com/wahweap-hoodoos.htm

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
4,535 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Utah - Arizona: what to see around Page and Kanab?

There is another nice slot canyon that can be accessed near Bryce, for when you are up that way. It will have few, if any, other hikers and can be done on your own.

backroadswest.com/trips/…

The problem is it is accessed via dirt road and the area has seen heavy rain for the past couple of weeks. Check about current road conditions with the local office in Cannonville before proceeding and don't enter if rain is in the forecast. In normal conditions, a 2WD car can get to these places. There are other slots nearby like Bull Valley Gorge that might just worth a look over the edge if you don't actually hike them.

americansouthwest.net/slot_canyons/bull_vall…

7. Re: Utah - Arizona: what to see around Page and Kanab?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 September 2014, 05:18