We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road conditions in early Nov. Hwy 24 & 12 Torrey to Bryce?

ATLANTA
Level Contributor
812 posts
116 reviews
Save Topic
Road conditions in early Nov. Hwy 24 & 12 Torrey to Bryce?

Hi, we don't have firm dates yet, but are planning SLC > Moab > Capitol Reef > Hwy 12 to Bryce > East Zion > Zion Valley > Las Vegas and wondered about the probably road conditions (snow and ice) in Late October and 1st few days of November. I realize the weather isn't the same from year to year, but generally. If it does snow, how responsive is the state about clearing the roads?

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Kent from Georgia

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road conditions in early Nov. Hwy 24 & 12 Torrey to Bryce?

Sorry, no way to predict. We have been to those places several times oct/nov and had it all. From snow at Bryce to lovely fallweather in Zion. We never had heavy snow or the like that time of year but one never knows of course. You are planning a great trip. Just go for it!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
3,847 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road conditions in early Nov. Hwy 24 & 12 Torrey to Bryce?

Greetings and welcome out west. As mentioned I would go for it. Bryce will be colder because of the elevation. I've seen it snow in the canyons in Salt Lake in mid September but other years it is sparse close to Thanksgiving. I doubt you will need to worry much about snow though. Even if you're camping, if you have the right layers you should be fine. Keep your eyes on the forecast and make adjustments if there is going to be a storm while you're going over Boulder Mountain of through Bryce. The other areas should be fine. Have fun.

ATLANTA
Level Contributor
812 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road conditions in early Nov. Hwy 24 & 12 Torrey to Bryce?

Is there a website for Utah road conditions?

Thanks for the replies. We look forward to the trip. A couple of years ago I went to Bryce and Zion in late April and Bryce was in the 20's with about a 30mph wind but when I got to Zion it was very pleasant and I don't think I needed a jacket.

Kent

Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
Level Contributor
6,002 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road conditions in early Nov. Hwy 24 & 12 Torrey to Bryce?

As stated, the trip over Boulder mtn south of Torrey will deserve most of your attention, as it peaks out somewhere near 10000 feet if I remember right. The area up on the paunsaugunt plateau(of which Bryce roughly forms the eastern edge) is also high in elevation as well. all part of hwy 12

Here is the link to the traffic info that I use>> http://commuterlink.utah.gov/

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road conditions in early Nov. Hwy 24 & 12 Torrey to Bryce?

We once went to Bryce end of october and rain started into snow. It was 32F. We checked into our hotel (BW Grand) and when we came out clouds away and sun came in. Just magic to see the hoodoos with some snow on them. Boulder Mountain is 9600 ft.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,094 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Road conditions in early Nov. Hwy 24 & 12 Torrey to Bryce?

As noted, it's not just the date or the season, it's the elevation. There's over 6,000 feet of variance in your route plan. Weather will vary along with it.

7. Re: Road conditions in early Nov. Hwy 24 & 12 Torrey to Bryce?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2014, 05:19