We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Calf Creek and HITR Rd

Bedford,U.K
Level Contributor
1,414 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Calf Creek and HITR Rd

I have a hectic day planned leaving Torrey at dawn. Plan on taking an hour or so to reach CC trail head.

I plan on hiking the lower falls then want to get down HITR Rd to do Spooky and Peekaboo.

Think 2.5 hrs return hike for CC.

Can someone give me a reasonable time it will take to drive off H12 down HITR do both slots and back to H12

Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
3,008 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Calf Creek and HITR Rd

For the HITR rd slots.....At least an hour each way driving, depending on whether you park right at the top of the trailhead. I don't know how fast you hike so hard to guess the time, 3 hours of hiking? Are you attempting do do a full loop? Start at Peekaboo, I think easier to negotiate the obstacles in Spooky coming down it.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
19,374 posts
426 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Calf Creek and HITR Rd

Good advice so far. Times here are a bit on the aggressive side for first time, especially doing full loop of Peek-a-boo and Spooky. What time of year?

Have fun.

Bedford,U.K
Level Contributor
1,414 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Calf Creek and HITR Rd

Sorry about lack of info. Was stuck in horrendous traffic so posted on phone to kill time.

Anyway... this will be on 8th Nov so not to long away. Got just under 10.5hrs of daylight.

I will be leaving Torrey at the crack of dawn and aim to get to Calf Creek trailhead in 1.5hrs or so allowing for a couple of photo stops.

Think it will take me up to 3 hrs to do Lower C.C Falls and back, most likely, less.

Its only 15mins to HITR Rd and if it takes an hr. to drive the 26miles then I've still got about 5hrs to play with. I believe I may have to walk a mile or so to the trailhead for Spooky/Peekaboo if my SUV cannot get over the last mile (yes I've been reading your T.R's).

I may have answered my own question but do I have enough time to do Spooky and Peekaboo....how long should I allow. I'm a fast hiker. Is a full loop better than doing individually (backtracking).

I need to allow an hr. to get back up HITR Rd and another hr. to get to Bryce, so in theory it gives me 3 hrs to do both slots.

I was even trying to squeeze in Mossey cave, especially since its on the doorstep of Bryce, so if its dark by the time im finished, then no issues.

Basically how long will a loop of Spooky and Peekaboo take me..fast hiker..solo...photo stops.

Thanks

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
2,350 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Calf Creek and HITR Rd

I think your biggest problem will be getting into the opening of Peekaboo. The muddy water may have dried up by the time you get there, but it's still a 15 - 20 ft (?) climb up to get into the opening. I guess one guy was able to get up by himself while our group was there, so maybe you can do it. If not, you can go to the left in the Dry Fork and find the trail that goes around to the back of Peekabo. Once you're inside, there are a couple of other sections that were high enough that Mr Zig and I really had to help each other to get up and over. This is all right at the front of Peekaboo, it's pretty easy to crawl through after these obstacles. And yes, going down thru the back of Spooky will be much easier than the way we went.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
2,350 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Calf Creek and HITR Rd

As for how long it will take you to get thru both slots, assuming you're able to get into the opening of Peekaboo without too much trouble I would say it should only take an hour or so to get through both slots. They aren't very long.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
61,563 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Calf Creek and HITR Rd

That's a really long day.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Calf Creek and HITR Rd

And check roadconditions for HITR before you go..

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,865 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Calf Creek and HITR Rd

be advised that we had car trouble on HITR road about 20 miles in. Ford Expedition-- fuel pump in the gas tank-- did not take well to the washboard road. $500 for a tow back to Escalante. Someone headed into town stopped and let the station know we needed a tow out there.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
4,767 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Calf Creek and HITR Rd

I would go for it if you are a reasonably fast hiker. Just don't rush through your time at Calf Creek because you're worried and thinking about Peek-a-boo and Spooky. That defeats the purpose of the hikes in the first place. I would just be at the Calf Creek trailhead by 8:30 or so, to give yourself plenty of time.

Print hiking and landmark directions for Peek-a-boo and Spooky once you arrive at the trailhead. The trail isn't marked. There are other slots in the area. The first time I went, I took a wrong slot and spent time looking for the top canyon entrance back down Spooky which, of course, was nowhere near the area I was looking. I kept thinking that Peek-a-boo wasn't all it was cracked up to be.

I think as long as you're to your car by 3:30 or so you should be in decent shape to get to Bryce. Will also get to enjoy the sunset reflecting off the last huge cliffs before Bryce. Will actually be a great time for the drive.

Bedford,U.K
Level Contributor
1,414 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Calf Creek and HITR Rd

Wings - thanks for that ( I did read your unfortunate events in the recent reports) however I think you were unlucky rather than it being a common issue as hundreds, if not thousands of vehicles must negotiate that road every year.

Shake - I will certainly not rush C.C.F or any other hike due to pressing engagements later in the day. If I miss out due to changes of plans then ill leave them for another time. I will obviously check road conditions before I go down HITR road since im solo and wont have any help to rely on if things go wrong.

It just amazes just how much there is to see in this area that I have previously just fleeted by en-route to so called other popular sight, but in reality the Escalante area deserves the whole vacation time alone.