We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I need to locate a restaurant I visited a long time ago.

Atlanta, Georgia
1 post
Save Topic
I need to locate a restaurant I visited a long time ago.

Anyone who knows the area around Bryce Canyon, Zion, Arches...I desperately need some help.

A year or two ago, my cousin took us on a road trip to this area, and we visited these three canyons as part of it. Somewhere out there, on the drive between two of them, we stopped at a lone restaurant on the side of the road where I had the best, and only, elk burger of my life, served to me by the cheery and wonderful owner of this restaurant. I need to know the name and/or exact location of this place. I have no idea where it is. And I'm hopelessly sad about potentially never finding it again.

If anyone can aid me in this search, I will be forever grateful.

(Pixie sent me here, I originally posted this as a Reddit comment.)

Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
Level Contributor
6,364 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I need to locate a restaurant I visited a long time ago.

Curious, would you know the name of it if you heard it? A lone restaurant that comes to mind happens to be a well known favorite among members here on the forum. It is the Kiva Koffeehouse on SR hwy 12 to the East of Escalante.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
18,804 posts
425 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I need to locate a restaurant I visited a long time ago.

Not a lot of possibilities. I, too, thought of Kiva but not sure on the elk burger. A better possibility might be Hell's Backbone Grill in Boulder. Another possibility would be Ray's Tavern in Green River, but it's more in town not on side of road and definitely do not serve elk.

Any other recollections of the surroundings?

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
4,629 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I need to locate a restaurant I visited a long time ago.

The first thing that jumped out to me was Hell's Backbone in Boulder between Bryce and Capitol Reef. There aren't many options in this part of the world. Another could be Rim Rock Restaurant in Torrey.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I need to locate a restaurant I visited a long time ago.

Also thought of Kiva Koffeehouse for a lone restaurant along the road but I also don't think they serve elk burgers. Also not particularly keen on the service in this place. Hells backbone grill has a great owner and serves stuff like that and I also are thinkig of Circle D with its burgers but it's not a lone place. Prob Hells Backbone I'd say.

Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
Level Contributor
6,364 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I need to locate a restaurant I visited a long time ago.

Was there a hotel nearby or attached to this restaurant?

In Boulder, there are three restaurants. Hells Bacbone Grill is the most well known.. There is also the Burr Trail Grill to the south of HBG, and Boulder Mesa Grill to the east of HBG. Boulder Mesa Grill will be the most 'lone' of the three in my own opinion.

Another thought I had was the two hotel/restaurant combos on SR 12 between Red Canyon visitor center and the jct of UT63 and UT12. One is Fosters, and the other is Bryce Canyon Pines. Bryce Canyon Pines did have a mention of an elk burger in their testimonials.

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,656 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I need to locate a restaurant I visited a long time ago.

Maybe Cafe Diablo in Torrey? Elk burger sounds like something that would be served there. But it is not a lone restaurant on the side of the road.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,855 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I need to locate a restaurant I visited a long time ago.

The restaurant at Zion Mountain Resort on hwy 9 has a restaurant that sells Buffalo Burgers. Might serve elk??

www.zmr.com

Another place might be Burr Trail Grill next door to Hells Backbone.

www.burrtrailgrill.com

Roosevelt, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
1,152 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I need to locate a restaurant I visited a long time ago.

Thanks for all the help, y'all! My 1st thought was the Burr Trail Grill because a burger would be more their style. I don't think they'd forget eating at Hell's Backbone or Cafe Diablo. I hope we figure it out, because I'd like to try an elk burger.

*Pixie*

Edited: 14 November 2013, 06:04
Roosevelt, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
1,152 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I need to locate a restaurant I visited a long time ago.

PS, this comment was tucked in the middle of a really great Reddit thread, asking for advice of the top 2 places in your State that a a traveler should visit if given the opportunity.

So many Redditors made comments that basically confirmed Utah was the #1 State to visit! (and then just named place after place after place that was a "must see" LOL~)

I just smiled, and liked all the comments. (:

*Pixie*

Torrey, Utah
Destination Expert
for Torrey, Capitol Reef National Park
Level Contributor
1,422 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: I need to locate a restaurant I visited a long time ago.

Do you remember which parks you had already visited before you had the burger?

Cafe Diablo and Rim Rock have never had elk burgers as far as I know. Wonder if it was the Red Rock restaurant in Hanksville.