We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Salt Lake City to Grand Canyon

Melbourne...
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Salt Lake City to Grand Canyon

Hi,

This is my first post so please forgive my ignorance! My husband and I (and two kids) are planning a trip to the US in two years time over the Christmas period. Planning has begun early but we need to figure out how much leave my hubby needs to take. We will be hiring a car and part of the trip will involve visiting hopefully Zion National Park, Bryce Canyon and the Grand Canyon (probably South Rim). We will be approaching them from Salt Lake City. As we will be travelling in winter the shorter the drive is during the day the better so hoping to stay as close as possible to each of these locations. From other post I have read I have a pretty good idea of where to stay but my main concern is what the road conditions will be like at that time of year and what are the best routes to get to these destinations. Also how long would you recommend staying at each place. Our kids will be 5 and 8 by the time we go. Regards, Liz

Edited: 14 November 2013, 04:32
Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
17,714 posts
413 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Salt Lake City to Grand Canyon

Welcome to the forum. Definitely winter but still good time to visit. For sure heat and crowds are not an issue. Do prepare clothing for sub-freezing conditions in some places, especially higher elevation like Bryce.

Salt Lake City to Bryce is around five hours, very easy drive. Yes, do watch for snow but shouldn't be a major issue. Stay right at the entrance at Ruby's Inn or Best Western Grand. One night is sufficient. Sunrise best time. Couple hours drive to Zion. Stay two to three nights. Page is a worthwhile stop en route to Grand Canyon to visit Antelope Canyon. One night is fine. From there head to Grand Canyon (South Rim as North Rim closed) for one or two nights. Long drive back to Salt Lake City. Look to break it in St. George maybe.

Have fun.

Melbourne...
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Salt Lake City to Grand Canyon

Hi there, thankyou so much for that. So if we stopover in Page then it is pretty much US-89 then turning off at AZ-64 to get to Grand Canyon? We will possibly be heading down to Phoenix after Grand Canyon so hopefully no long haul trips. Really appreciate your help. Cheers, Liz

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Salt Lake City to Grand Canyon

Yes, follow us89 from Mt Carmel Junction to Kanab to Page and south to Cameron before 64. By the time you are coming us89 hopefully will be open again but the other drive from Page south on 89T is good as well but less scenic. A huge landslide blocked us89 south of Page begin of this year. Don't forget to visit places in Page like Antelope Canyon and Horseshoe bend overlook.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
4,158 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Salt Lake City to Grand Canyon

Hi Liz, sounds like a wonderful time. Good advice so far. I might also recommend getting a 4WD vehicle. It may not be as fuel economical, but would be great to have in case of a snow storm, which is very possible near the end of December. If you have many days to play with, you could keep a rather flexible schedule as accommodations won't be booked up in winter. Then, just look at weather forecasts and plan on traveling when when there will be clear skies. Bundle up and have fun.

Melbourne...
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Salt Lake City to Grand Canyon

Thanks everybody for the feedback, it is greatly appreciated and extremely helpful! What a wonderful forum this is!

6. Re: Salt Lake City to Grand Canyon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 November 2014, 05:18