We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zion, Bryce, Arches April or June?

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
28 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Zion, Bryce, Arches April or June?

We are planning on doing a loop between Zion, Bryce, and Arches with our 4 and 6 year old.

Would it be better to go the first 2 weeks of April or the first 2 weeks of June?

Thanks for your input!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
59,176 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Zion, Bryce, Arches April or June?

There is no wrong answer. April is the transition from winter to spring. Early in the month there might still be snow at higher elevations like Bryce. The Narrows at Zion could be restricted due to spring run off. But that's not an activity for the youngsters anyway. At least not a 4YO IMO.

June is the beginning of summer. Some extreme heat potential, but generally too soon for monsoonal wind and rain.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
18,593 posts
425 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Zion, Bryce, Arches April or June?

As RedRox noted, both are good times. June will definitely be appreciably warmer. June will also be busier. But you really can't go too wrong either way. Given the two choices I would probably opt for April.

Have fun.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
4,531 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Zion, Bryce, Arches April or June?

What's up Buckeye? Urban just doesn't lose, does he? Should be an interesting finale to the season these next couple of weeks. Good luck...

I might opt for the first two weeks of April. Not as hot, not as many people to contend with. The flip side is that some businesses may not be open for the season and night time temps will be much cooler. You'll still need decent jackets. Make sure to check out Goblin Valley, Little Wild Horse Canyon and Calf Creek Falls with the kids. They'll have a blast climbing on the rocks and playing in the water if the air temps are warm enough.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Zion, Bryce, Arches April or June?

We prefer the warmer weather esp coming for a cold coutry so june is my pick. Being outside with the kids will be easier in june imo.

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,651 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Zion, Bryce, Arches April or June?

Great advice thus far. Personally, I would opt for later in the spring, so since the choice is between early April and early June, I would go with June. But that is based in large part because I'm in Cleveland and I would be completed sick and tired of cold weather. Perhaps that is not as big an issue for someone coming from "the south" ;-)

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
28 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Zion, Bryce, Arches April or June?

I love this forum! Since I am from "The South" of Ohio, I have to say ya'all brought a smile to my face reading your posts. It sounds like we can't go wrong. I love all of the advice on what to do with the kiddos. I have been dreaming of this trip for a while. Would lodging be more reasonable in April than June? It is only due to my unemployment that I am fortunate enough to be able to take two weeks of vacation....but then there is the economics of being unemployed.

Go Bucks!!!

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,651 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Zion, Bryce, Arches April or June?

OK, first of all, if you are going to be from "the south" you have to learn to spell correctly. It is y'all, not ya'all. The pural of y'all is all y'all ;-)

Lodging could be a little less expensive in April, but it is still a popular time to visit, so I doubt there will be much (if any) difference. You'll just have to do a little research. Perhaps try Expedia, Travelocity, or one of the other comparison sites to look for deals. As mentioned, the bigger trade-off is weather versus crowds.

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
28 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Zion, Bryce, Arches April or June?

Thanks for all of the responses...hubby made final call based on your input. First 2 weeks of June it is. The other benefit for us is we do not need to pull the children out of school. Let the planning begin. Originally, we were going to make the drive to save on flights for all four of us. But after plotting out the journey from Ohio to Arizona I changed my mind. We will fly into wherever we get the best price on flights (we will also be making a stop in Phoenix to visit family).

Thanks again.....ya'all make the planning much more fun.

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,651 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Zion, Bryce, Arches April or June?

Have fun planning. I always that that planning is part of the fun of a trip.

This might help:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28965-c177493/Utah:U…

The link takes you to a travel article on planning a trip to the Grand Cirlce with emphasis on southern UT. Give it a read and take a crack at an itinerary. Once you have a draft, post it in a new thread and the folks here will be more than glad to critique it for you.

edit: BTW, I noticed that you found the Top Question on "How to see all the parks in southern Utah?" The big loop fromLas Vegas is a great route. You can certainly modify it to start/stop in Phoenix, you you might even be able to start in LV and end in PHX (or vice versa), but then you have to watch for rental car drop-off fees, and potentially higher airfare, but it is still worth looking into.

Edited: 19 November 2013, 19:11
Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
28 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Zion, Bryce, Arches April or June?

Thanks so much for all of the help...I definitely love the planning portion. I look forward to locking in our flights so I can truly define the details of the trip. I appreciate the offer to review our itinerary....I will take you up on that when I have it drafted.