We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moab to Bryce - backup routes

New Westminster...
Level Contributor
540 posts
250 reviews
Save Topic
Moab to Bryce - backup routes

We'll be doing this trip around March 21 in a rental car, probably a Ford Escape with all-season tires. Hoping to take US 12 from Torrey to Bryce, and I see here that we will probably be able to, but we need to check the weather forecast very carefully before doing that, especially re the 9400' part.

My question is this: As an alternate, Google wants me to go west onto UT-62S, then down Johns Valley Road from Otter Creek Reservoir. Is there anything I should know about that route if there's some weather?

Third choice is hopping over to US89, but that looks less interesting and takes longer.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
16,919 posts
388 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moab to Bryce - backup routes

Would be very rare that you would have an issue in March. That being said, the best alternate route would be I-70 to 89. It's OK but nothing is as interesting as route 12.

Good luck.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moab to Bryce - backup routes

Nothing special on that route 62 through the Valley and Black Canyon. Take ut12. Btw, yes 62 to Bryce is paved.

Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
Level Contributor
6,013 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moab to Bryce - backup routes

You would have to get conditions for SR22 and Johns Valley Road at the time you travel. From what I have dug up, the route is now all paved. The safer and more primary route would be SR 62 to US89. SR 24 north of Loa also goes to 8500 feet, but I believe it is more of a priority for UDOT than SR 12 over Boulder mountain, when it comes to keeping it clear after snowfall.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,594 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Moab to Bryce - backup routes

Well if you are worried about weather I wouldn't be taking John's Valley road. Talk about isolated. If there is snow at the higher locations you will be getting it no matter what route you take. So I'd stick with the more heavily traveled roads myself- which would be I-70 to 89.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Moab to Bryce - backup routes

From Moab to Bryce you can take I70 and 89 but from Torrey that will be a too long detour imo.

6. Re: Moab to Bryce - backup routes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 December 2014, 05:18