We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family Zion Trip - Long Drive

Portland, Oregon
1 post
Save Topic
Family Zion Trip - Long Drive

I just booked at Watchman Campground in Zion (tent camping) for the weekend after Labor Day, 2014. I will be traveling with my 20month old, husband, and my friend's family (3 kids age 2-7). We will be coming from the Portland, OR area probably down I-84, I-15. I think we need to drive it in two days with a one night stop along the way since it is about a 16hr drive. Does anyone know good places that I might have luck finding a reservation? I thought Yuba State Park might work, but we are looking for Sept 3, and they are booked. It would be awesome if there was water around for the kiddos since it will likely be hot for them. We don't need anything too fancy since we are tent camping. Now I am not sure where to stop and thought I would check here for some good ideas. Thanks in advance!

Tacoma, Washington
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,609 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Family Zion Trip - Long Drive

There is a twin Falls, ID KOA. It would be roughly the midpoint of the trip.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family Zion Trip - Long Drive

16 hours is very optimistic for an almost 1100 miles drive. Most of I84 (Or and Id) is 65 mph anyway and the busy stretch along SLC also will take time. With young kids I'd take a lot of breaks on the way to stretch their legs. Twin Falls is a good half way suggestion but if you are camping I suggest to leave I84 at Bliss and drive us30. That's a scenic drive with waterfalls and Hagerman Fossil Beds and nice places for camping along the river.

Tet.

Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
Level Contributor
6,257 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family Zion Trip - Long Drive

Ogden through SLC to Santaquin is a very long and busy drive. You may want to plan avoiding weekday rushhour times when driving this portion of the I-15

4. Re: Family Zion Trip - Long Drive

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 March 2015, 05:27