We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Part of Grand Circuit in Utah

Burlington
Level Contributor
88 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Part of Grand Circuit in Utah

I would really appreciate if someone can give me some advice on this itinerary.

I am planning a trip to Utah's National Park next year, and from a lot of web post, I realized that I can do the grand circuit route, from Las Vegas to Mesa Verde and back via Monument Valley and Page. However, we had just visited Page and Monument Valley last month, so it will be nice to see something else on the way back to Las Vegas, any suggestions?

Tentative itinerary:

Las Vegas

Valley of Fire

Zion National Park

Bryce Canyon

Capital Reef

Arches National Park

Canyonlands National Park

Monticello

National Bridge National Monument

Mesa Verde

??? Now we are heading back to Las Vegas, but where should we stay since we had already been to Monument Valley and Page??

Thank you in advance for your help.

Mentioned in this post
Mesa
Mesa
Central Arizona, AZ
Arches National Park
Arches National Park
7,064 Reviews
Moab, UT
2,236 Reviews
Moab, UT
Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Part of Grand Circuit in Utah

From Mesa Verde NP head to Canyon de Chelly NM. Hubbell Trading Post, Hopi Nation near Second mesa, Petrified Forest NP, Holbrook, Winslow, Meteor Crater Walnut Canyon, Wupaiki and Sunset Crater Volcano, Flagstaff, Sedona, R66 and Hoover dam all more or less are on the way to Las vegas depending on the routes you take.

Tet

Mentioned in this post
Mesa
Mesa
Central Arizona, AZ
Holbrook
Holbrook
Arizona
Meteor Crater
Meteor Crater
3,014 Reviews
Winslow, AZ
Flagstaff
Flagstaff
Arizona
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
Hoover Dam
Hoover Dam
7,940 Reviews
Boulder City, NV
Burlington
Level Contributor
88 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Part of Grand Circuit in Utah

Hi Tet:

Thanks for your post. I forgot to mention that we had been to Canyon de Chelly, Petrified Forest, Hope Mesa and Winslow, Sedona as well since we flew into and out of Pheonix last time.. I guess I can check out Walnut Canyon?

Mentioned in this post
Mesa
Mesa
Central Arizona, AZ
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
Burlington
Level Contributor
88 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Part of Grand Circuit in Utah

I look at the map again and come up with this itinerary. Please let me know whether it makes sense. Since I had been to Page, Lake Powell, Monument Valley, I want to save my trip for the other parks that I had not been. Also, I wish to have places to see on my way back from CanyonLand.

Fly to Las Vegas ( from East coast )

Overnight in St. George.

Visit Bryce Canyon and Grand Staircase Eacalante.

Arches National Park

Canyonland National Park.

On the drive back to do:

Capitol Reef

Zion

Valley of Fire.

back to Las Vegas.

Can someone please look at my plan and see whether it is workable? Thanks a million.

Mentioned in this post
Grand Staircase Inn
Grand Staircase Inn
577 Reviews
Cannonville, UT
Arches National Park
Arches National Park
7,064 Reviews
Moab, UT
Capitol Reef Resort
Capitol Reef Resort
1,482 Reviews
Torrey, UT
Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
Level Contributor
6,984 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Part of Grand Circuit in Utah

The logical progression is different if you are thinking of accessing some of the features of the Grand Staircase Escalante.

If you are staying in St George, then you could do St George-Moab/Arches/Canyonlands-Capitol Reef-GSENM north portions via SR12-Bryce

Likely the better plan would be VoF- St George-Bryce-GSE north Half via SR 12-Torrey/Capitol Reef-Moab/Arches/Canyonlands IITS-Canyonlands Needles-Page-GSE south half via US89-Zion. Seeing as you have seen Page before, you will not have to stop there. VoF can be put at the start or the end of the route, but the start would be much better as a preview for the better scenery to come.

Another option for your plan is to drive US89A instead of US89. US89A has the overlook which illustrates the 'steps' of the Grand Staircase

This is just a couple of suggestions for a logical progression. A workable plan will be derived when you allot a sufficient amount of time to the destinations.

Edited: 11 April 2014, 19:23
Mentioned in this post
Grand Staircase Inn
Grand Staircase Inn
577 Reviews
Cannonville, UT
Moab
Moab
Utah
Capitol Reef Resort
Capitol Reef Resort
1,482 Reviews
Torrey, UT
The Needles
The Needles
266 Reviews
Canyonlands National Park, UT
Burlington
Level Contributor
88 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Part of Grand Circuit in Utah

Thank you so very much. I will get back to the map and review your suggestions.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Part of Grand Circuit in Utah

Maybe consider to make a detour and visit Great Basin NP in Nevada. It's not a well known park but it makes a great visit.

Mentioned in this post
Burlington
Level Contributor
88 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Part of Grand Circuit in Utah

Thanks. Will check that out.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
16,268 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Part of Grand Circuit in Utah

Your plan in post #3 is a bit convoluted to me, though it would work, and the main idea is good.

If you are trying to avoid the long drive to and from Moab by breaking it up you might try this:

St George/ Zion

Moab via I-15/1-70 ( alittle long of a drive, but you can stop in at both Kolob Canyon and Cedar Breaks, and even Fremont State park for some ancient Indian culture. plus I-70 has some great stops.)

Arches, Canyonlands,

Capitol Reef

Hwy 12/ Escalante

Bryce

LV

Mentioned in this post
Moab
Moab
Utah
Cedar Breaks Lodge
Cedar Breaks Lodge
426 Reviews
Brian Head, UT
Capitol Reef Resort
Capitol Reef Resort
1,482 Reviews
Torrey, UT
Burlington
Level Contributor
88 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Part of Grand Circuit in Utah

Thanks for the advice. I am just planning to go to Zion at the end, since the temperature won't be as warm in the first part of Oct rather than in the 3rd week of Sept. when we first arrive. Maybe I am wrong on that? Please let me know if I am incorrect in my assumption.

Mentioned in this post
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
16,268 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Part of Grand Circuit in Utah

The temps the third week of Sept will not be significantly different from a week later in Oct. The first part of Sept may still be hot, but it would be highly unusual for it to hang on to the end of the month.