We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip for Yellowstone and Utah

Jersey City, New...
5 posts
Save Topic
Trip for Yellowstone and Utah

Hi we are planning to take a 10 day trip from NY in third week of may..

We are planning to fy to Salt lake city and then cover Yellowstone, Grand Tenton national parks and then Utah national parks like Arches, Canyonlands, Capitol Reef, Zion, cover antelope canyon in AZ an dthen back to Salt lake city..

Can you please suggest if this is a good time to visit these places? Also, which other places on this route should be really good to be covered?

Just myself and husband are on the trip to enjoy very good views of nature, some simple to moderate hikes and visiting well known places to see..

Any information and suggestions will be helpful..

Thank you in advance..

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
17,719 posts
413 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip for Yellowstone and Utah

Welcome to the forum.

Timing is pretty good, maybe a touch early for Yellowstone but it will be fine and crowds will be low. However, you simply can't do all of that in 10 days. If Yellowstone/Grand Teton are a primary piece of your plan, my recommendation would be to do that plus Moab, and not consider Zion/Bryce/Antelope. You simply don't have enough time. It's possible you could also add on Capitol Reef on return to Salt Lake from Moab.

As a rule of thumb, you should have minimum three nights in Yellowstone, two in Grand Tetons, one full day to drive to Utah parks, three nights Moab. One to get back to Salt Lake.

As an option, you could choose to do Zion/Bryce instead of Moab, but adding Antelope would be hard.

Have fun.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
4,161 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip for Yellowstone and Utah

Sounds like a fun holiday. You will need to scale down some of the destinations or add more time. It would be like trying to visit NYC, Montauk, Boston, cape cod, Philidelphia, DC, Toronto, Niagra Falls, and the green mountains in Vermont in a 10- day timeframe. I suppose you could do it, but the trip would be rushed and you wouldn't get much from any of the places you visited.

May is probably still a little early for Yellowstone. I would head down south to the desert first and then up to Wyoming a few days later. You'll want about 4 days in Yellowstone and 1-2 for the Tetons. With a day of travel and a stop over in SLC or Park City before heading to Wyoming, that would leave you with three days for Southern Utah. Moab with Arches and Canyonlands would be your best option. You might be able to squeeze in Capitol Reef, but definitely not the other three.

Or you could drop Yellowstone and The Tetons and focus on a southern Utah loop and visit all of the other places you mentioned.

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,637 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip for Yellowstone and Utah

Welcome to the forum, Khushbu.

Great advice thus far. Yeah, I agree, 10 days is not nearly enough time for all that you have on your list. And May is a bit early for Yellowstone. I like the idea of just focusing on southern Utah for a 10-day trip in May as that is usually a good time to visit. Then make a return trip to Yellowstone and Grant Teton when you have better chances for good weather.

Give this a read:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28965-c177493/Utah:U…

This is a travel article about planning a trip to southern Utah. You might find it useful.

Edited: 21 April 2014, 23:43
Jersey City, New...
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip for Yellowstone and Utah

Thanks all for the suggestions. Yes, I think I have to cut down a few places as you mentioned.

I will have a look at the link provided and try for a different plan.

The weather would be too cold for Yellowstone in end of May? what could be other hurdle in doing Yellowstone at this time?

Edited: 25 April 2014, 21:09
Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
17,719 posts
413 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip for Yellowstone and Utah

Weather at Yellowstone will definitely be cooler and likelihood of still some snow. Definitely still do-able. But if you do decide to do both Utah parks and Yellowstone, do Utah first as every day helps. Honestly, though, I would keep a focus on the Utah parks where you can do a ton in 10 days and weather will be absolutely ideal. Yellowstone/GTNP is the opposite direction so you're needing to cover a 10 hour gap to get between the two regions. It's just going to burn a ton of travel time going between the regions.

Have fun.

6. Re: Trip for Yellowstone and Utah

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 April 2015, 05:16