We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

UTAH gazette by DeLorme and other map/guide recommendations

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
276 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
UTAH gazette by DeLorme and other map/guide recommendations

I don't get it. In reading all the reviews on Amazon, one says the old (and unspecified) versions are better for the backroads and topographical info, and another review says the newer version is better. I only see the 6th edition from 2006 on Amazon, and when I called Delorme they said they sell the 8th edition 2011. and neither rei or Barnes and Noble has it in stock in Eastern Washington. would sure like more input before I commit to buying. I did read the Fodors guide and bought the Utah Moon guide. Plan on about 3 weeks in September to explore the area in a Subaru outback and am looking for recommendations on maps and guides. Have downloaded the NPS maps and a lot of info. any other ideas much appreciated.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,333 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: UTAH gazette by DeLorme and other map/guide recommendations

For a pretty good overview of the Grand Circle, the AAA Indian Country map is worthwhile.

For guidebooks, Moon or Lonely Planet have quite a bit of info.

Also look at places like REI for the National Geographic maps of Zion, Bryce, etc...

Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
Level Contributor
6,253 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: UTAH gazette by DeLorme and other map/guide recommendations

I will second the National Geographic maps for extremely detailed topographical close ups of regions and national parks. You can find these maps plus the Indian Country map described above at most visitor centers, park concessionaires, and NHA locations. For the most part, the NPS maps will do for a visit to the park. The National Geographic maps provide much more detail, which you may or may not need.

You can get AAA atlases from your local AAA outlet. I am pretty sure you do not need a membership.

We personally use a road atlas that appears to be published by Michelin(michelin tires and the marshmallow man, LOL). It is a handy book which is arranged in grids rather than states/provinces. You just flip pages as you move along.

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
276 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: UTAH gazette by DeLorme and other map/guide recommendations

I'll talk to AAA and see if they can order me an Indian Country map and take a look at the Nat Geo maps. I saw some Nat geo book at the bookstore when I picked up a copy of Utah by Moon but didn't look in it because the Moon guide had been recommended. thanks for the info.

Tacoma, Washington
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,603 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: UTAH gazette by DeLorme and other map/guide recommendations

You could also just save on the books and read on here??? :)

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
17,730 posts
413 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: UTAH gazette by DeLorme and other map/guide recommendations

Good advice so far. Indian Country and Nat Geo maps are best. For advance on-line planning, hard to beat the free online maps like Google Maps, which have immense detail and ability to go into Earth mode. Do note that a Subaru Outback will be nice and functional on many roads, but it won't serve you well on many backroads. Do be cautious - the desert can present some nasty situations.

Come back with some of your target destinations and we can give you more specific feedback to plan your adventure. Backroads of Utah is also a very handy guidebook.

Have fun.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,772 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: UTAH gazette by DeLorme and other map/guide recommendations

The old delorme maps are good,(mine is the 5th edition) but Pixie had a newer map last time we were together that looked even better. I looked at the publisher but have now forgotten.

PIXIE??? who published your map???

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
276 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: UTAH gazette by DeLorme and other map/guide recommendations

A general idea so far, down via salt lake to Kolob, then down to the entrance at Zion, across highway 9, then to Bryce, across 12. not sure about Grand Escalante, but up to Capitol Reef, then to Canyonlands. wondering about the Burr Trail, then up to Arches... maybe a stop at Natural Bridges going S after Arches. Aim is to leave Washington state after labor day and arrive in the Albuquerque the first week of October. Hope to camp 2 of every three days, then hit a hotel every 3rd day. We have only been through Zion and Bryce once 23 years ago. I've gone through much of the on line National parks info, read the corresponding areas in the Fordors book and have the moon guide to Utah. Am open to all suggestions and info. I've been a Bahamas regular (by boat) as well as cruising the NW coast and visits to Yucatan, so this is a new place to break in my retirement shoes.

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
276 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: UTAH gazette by DeLorme and other map/guide recommendations

That's what I'm attempting. Have spent a lot of time on Google Earth as well as NPS downloadable PFDs as well as accounts on TA. also found good stuff on You tube (which originally was wondering about the Shafer Trail but after watching the Youtube on that think not,. also considered but discarded the idea of the salt valley trail. also noted there is a 6th edition delorme and I think a 4th or 5th edition for 13 bucks on another site. next time I go to triple AAA I'll ask about the Indian country map.

Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
2,783 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: UTAH gazette by DeLorme and other map/guide recommendations

I've found that whenever Delorme does update their books, they are much improved. I would get the latest version printed for most detail.

I've also collected many state maps over the years and find that some of the best maps are the one's you can pick up free at a state visitor center. Pop in to the first one you hit in each state and grab their free state map.

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
276 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: UTAH gazette by DeLorme and other map/guide recommendations

which one of these two Indian Country maps do you suggest. Not sure if they are different, or if the 2012 is just an updated version of the other.

amazon.com/Indian-Country-AZ-CO-NM/dp/192653…

amazon.com/Map-AAA-Guide-Indian-Country/dp/B…

On the Nat Geo, am I looking for a hard copy or the on line version? Thanks