We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wave permit, few other questions

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
79 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Wave permit, few other questions

Found this site by accident but what a great find it's so informative and full of great links.

I'm planning for a photography trip for late September early October for 14 days coming from UK, One of my main goals is hopefully to get a pass to hike to the Wave (Coyote Buttes North) so I will be planning a few different options depending on getting a permit.

A few questions:

If I've read it right I believe you can apply for a pass online up to 4 months before the chosen date of your visit and that you will find out if your successful at the end of the month you apply IE 3 months before your chosen visit date and I can apply for up to 3 dates, if I was not successful at all I guess I could still turn up the day before and apply to enter the raffle for a walk in permit?

If I didn't get an online permit for the wave what would be my best options for locations to photograph which would enable me to be able to get to the permit office every day?

I intend to hire an RV for the duration and I'm assuming that I won't have to much trouble getting around ?

Where would be the nearest campground be to get to Monument Valley for a sunrise?

Any recommendations on getting a good scale map or book Utah/Arizona?

Cheers in advance

Trevor

Santa Ana, CA
Level Contributor
3,251 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wave permit, few other questions

"up to 4 months before" is not quite the proper description. The calendar opens up four months in advance and you then have that 30 or 31 days to make your bids for the dates in the month 3 months hence.

So, if you want a permit in September you would register and bid during the month of May.

If you want a permit in October you would register and bid any day during the month of June.

blm.gov/az/…permits.html

Santa Ana, CA
Level Contributor
3,251 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wave permit, few other questions

The best road map of the area is the Indian Country Guide Map published by the American Automobile Association or AAA. I've seen them for sale on Ebay and Amazon for less than 10 bucks US.

Was there another scale map you would be interested in? Most of us on TripAdvisor know all the maps.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wave permit, few other questions

Welcome to the forum.

Permits for a next day visit will be early in the day at Kanab visitor center. For renting an RV, keep in mind the drive to the Wave can be quite bumpy on House Rock Valley rd to it.

Danny mentioned a great guide map for that area. Hallwag 5 and 6 are good maps for visiting the western states. Buying the AAA map in the USA app is $ 6,--

For camping near Monument Valley check out Goulding's Campground.

Tet

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
59,704 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wave permit, few other questions

If an RV is your only transportation option you run the risk of not being able to get to the trailhead on House Rock Valley Rd, even if you do score a permit.

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
79 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Wave permit, few other questions

Cheers for that link, Map ordered.

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
79 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Wave permit, few other questions

Tet

Thank you for the campsite information,

RedRox

I was having a look on Google earth at the road and was wondering the same thing will have to give this a bit of thought.

Tacoma, Washington
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
9,170 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Wave permit, few other questions

For a permit...

you need to submit this month for September dates---tou can only do 3 different dates in one entry. In June you do it for October. this lottery issues 10 of 20 permits.

The other 10 permits are issued the day before in a lottery at the BLM office in Kanab, UT. If you happen to get tickets you can go through dreamland tours to get there.

I think in Kana and Pageb you can rent a 4x4 high clearance vehicle to go off roading that you could use to do the wave.

8. Re: Wave permit, few other questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 May 2015, 05:16