We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bonneville Salt Flats

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
70 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Bonneville Salt Flats

Hi

We're driving down from Yellowstone to SLC and i'd really like to see the salt flats. However the maps and other reading suggest that only way to do this is almost to SLC, it and back by the same route.

Is there another way if we are coming down from Idaho state?

Alternatively is there a similar areas closer to the city without the full 2hr journey out to Bonneville?

Thanks in advance

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
4,733 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bonneville Salt Flats

Driving through Salt Lake via I-80 is the fastest way by about 90 minutes. Going through Idaho, you would drive towards Burley, but then head south, passing the Raft River Mountains down UT-30 into Nevada.

There isn't really another place, specifically like it anywhere nearby. Are you looking for photography options?

…about.com/od/waterandice/fl/Salt-Flats.htm

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
70 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bonneville Salt Flats

I guess it's one of those places we see living in Europe and would be great to go to. Even drive in.... Slowly.

Is it with that long a drive though ?

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,935 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bonneville Salt Flats

I love the Salt Flats. But the best views are from the area around Wendover. There is a rest area east of town where you can walk out on them. If you want to drive out on them then you need to get into town and find the road from there to the main driving area. The salt changes over the course of the year and sometimes it is not good to drive on. It is a very thin layer of salt and then mud and clay underneath. If it is at all wet you go through the salt and hit the mud and can get stuck, so drive out on your own risk. I have a friend who has tried it twice and gotten stuck both times.

But it is fun just to walk out and feel small against all that white.

It is about 90 min drive to Wendover from SLC. No way around that. Whether it is worth it depends on what your priorities are and how much over all time you can afford to spend on it. When I went to London for the first time I was with a group and we had one day free. I used it to go to Stonehenge. There was no way I was going to be that close and not see it. I had English friends drive and they also took me to see Salisbury Cathedral and Winchester and had lunch at an authentic english pub out in the country somewhere. It was the most fantastic day that I still remember with great fondness. Everyone thought I was crazy to try so much in one day, but it was what I wanted and it worked for me.

Do what you want, if you can.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
19,243 posts
426 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bonneville Salt Flats

Actually, if you're coming down from the west side of Yellowstone on I-15, it's only a few minutes longer to reach the Bonneville Salt Flats via US93 south from Twin Falls to Wells, then east on I-80. It's also a reasonably scenic drive. That builds a nice loop for you rather than an out and back.

If you do decide to drive on the salt flats, use extreme care and get the rental car washed with a full bottom cleaning before you return it. There's a paved road right out to the salt and you can decide on driving on it or not, just to say you did.

Have fun.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bonneville Salt Flats

Yes, we did it the way T&C described. Not bad at all. We drove on the salt flats with our rental and still found a lot of salt in and on the car when we delivered the car many weeks later.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
70 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bonneville Salt Flats

Thus advice is brilliant. Thanks to all. We're booked to stay the previous night near Bear Lake, however this was simply just a stop over and can be changed. If we came out of Yellowstone through Jackson and ended up in Pocatello (or further west) would that make sense? I don't mind driving quite late to get to a better stop over town

Also is the lower grade route 30 best avoided as on the maps this seems far shorter if we were coming through Logan?

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,935 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bonneville Salt Flats

I personally would keep the Bear Lake reservations and just do the I-15 to I-80 route. Going via Twin Falls doesn't offer anything but a different route, while I love Bear Lake and would go that way even if it was out of the way.

30 may look shorter, but speeds will be lower so in the end it is probably longer time wise and definitely not much in the way of scenery. Pretty sure we took most of the day when we drove it last. But if you are looking for wide open empty and desolate 30 will give that to you. The road is okay, nothing to worry about except it is really really desolate and very far from any thing or any help.

Edited: 25 May 2014, 18:33
8. Re: Bonneville Salt Flats

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 May 2015, 05:15